Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Is Peterson revamping their tobacco lineup?

I recently went out to P&C to order some Old Dublin, and found a big banner saying "Discontinued". I had recently seen a FB post about Peterson blends no longer being offered in Ireland. Since Old Dublin is a long time favorite of mine, I became a bit concerned, and started checking other e-tailers. Iwan Ries,Smoking Pipes, 4 Noggins, and JR Cigar were all out. I found 2 tins at Mars, and hit the jackpot at McCranie's, so I will have a reasonable supply if I moderate my smoking of this lovely stuff.
A post in another forum mentioned that Peterson is trimming their lineup. Then I recalled that STG now owns Peterson, and got the bright idea of posting here to see if I might be able to get some solid information.
Anyone?

Comments

• Options
    I read a list someone compiled on Christianpipesmokers.net about the discontinued Peterson blends. As far as I know, these are the ones to stock up on if you find them.

Peterson's Irish Oak
    Peterson's Irish Mixture
    Peterson's Sunset Breeze
    Peterson's Killarney
    Peterson's Luxury Blend
    Peterson's De Luxe Mixture
    Peterson's 3 P's Perfect Plug
    Peterson's Hyde Park
    Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice
    Peterson's Original 1865 Mixture

Looks like I missed out on Perfect Plug. I would've liked to have tried it, but its out of stock everywhere I've looked.

• Options
    Holy Smokes! Never seen rules elaborated in this way.....

https://christianpipesmokers.net/app.php/rules
  • Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited January 2019
    I just received a new Peterson Fermoy 80s and the box contained a little pamphlet listing the following Peterson blends.

Flakes:
    Irish Flake, University Flake

Non Aromatics:
    Sherlock Holmes, Irish Oak, Irish Whiskey, Old Dublin, Deluxe Mixture, Hyde Park, Balkan Delight

Plug:
    3 P's Plug

Aromatic:
    Nutty Cut, Sunset Breeze, Sweet Killarney, Gold Blend, Luxury Blend, Connoisseur's Choice

Luxury Pouch 40g:
    Wild Atlantic, Irish Dew, Aran Mixture, Connemara Black

The Founder's Collection:
    1865 Mixture, Founder's Choice, Signature Flake
  • Options
    Thanks, Leonard! I won't worry about restricting my Old Dublin consumption, then. It wasn't that high - only about 8 oz a year - but still....
  • Options
    Good news, Old Dublin made the list. Below is the total portfolio. Any that got cut are still being manufactured for other countries, so could potentially come back in the future. I can assure you the volume for the items that got cut were minuscule.

Peterson 3P's Plug Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Balkan Delight Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Connoisseurs Choice Tobacco 50g
    Peterson De Luxe Mix Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Hyde Park Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Irish Dew Tobacco 5 x 40g
    Peterson Irish Flake Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Irish Oak Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Irish Whiskey Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Old Dublin Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Sherlock Holmes Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Sunset Breeze Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Sweet Killarney Tobacco 50g
    Peterson University Flake Tobacco 50g
  • Options
    Thanks for the update @Leonard , I appreciate you getting back to us about this. I'm glad that I'll get a chance to pick up Perfect Plug in the future.
  • Options
    Thanks, Leonard- the old standbys are hanging in.
  • Options
    madmanmadman Newcomer
    What about the limited release tobaccos from Peterson like Summertime, Holiday Season and St. Patrick’s, will they be back in the USA?
  • Options
    @madman - That's a good question but I'm afraid the answer may be NO!. For example, Summertime 2018 is available but the Winter 2018 has not been available. I tried to order it when I heard it was out but no one I know every got it in stock. 
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it's the "deeming laws" that are preventing any new blends coming out.  I have been looking forward to W.O. Larsen annual tobaccos...nothing...:( :(:(
  • Options
    From what Leonard has said, though, Peterson is cutting back generally. With a few exceptions, the blends he listed are blends that were available 15 years ago.  He said about the ones that were dumped: "I can assure you the volume for the items that got cut were minuscule."
    It looks like market forces were the driver.
  • Options
    @judandhispipe - I almost started an argument with you but after reading what you wrote a second time more slowly, I agree, market forces are usually the main driver in any blend disappearing and its why some of the old drugstore blends are still around.
  • Options
    Just hope that Peterson keep making Wild Atlantic, it is a very good mild English and come in a Pouch. The blend is good to be smoked at summer, like if here in Florida we have a winter.
  • Options
    "Just hope that Peterson keep making Wild Atlantic"
    According to Leonard,it's gone.

• Options
    @Leonard

Any update on Peterson Tobacco? Rumors are starting to fly rampantly that all Peterson tobaccos are being discontinued in the U.S..
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    http://www.petersonpipenotes.org/     (Towards bottom of that URL page)

UPDATE: Peterson Tobaccos Disappearing?

If you’re a fan of any of the old Peterson tobaccos,
    you may wish to stock up where you can find them.
    STG, who acquired the line, has no plans at this time  to continue with
    any of the long-standing Peterson tins.
    For friends across the pond, Black Swan Shoppe
    still has a good supply of nearly every tin.

UPDATE 7/1/19 @3:05PM CDT:

I emailed Pylorns (James Foster) who was at the IPCPR trade show over the weekend in Las Vegas. Here was his reply: “Ok straight from the horses mouth – Brian Levine is still there [IPCPR] today so I had him run by STG. 14 Peterson blends just shipped and did not fill all the back orders. By the end of July they will be caught up.” And here’s, presumably, the 14 tobaccos........

Peterson 3P’s Plug Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Balkan Delight Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Connoisseurs Choice Tobacco 50g
    Peterson De Luxe Mix Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Hyde Park Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Irish Dew Tobacco 5 x 40g
    Peterson Irish Flake Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Irish Oak Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Irish Whiskey Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Old Dublin Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Sherlock Holmes Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Sunset Breeze Tobacco 50g
    Peterson Sweet Killarney Tobacco 50g
    Peterson University Flake Tobacco 50g

[Notice that the three Founder’s Edition tobaccos are missing and, I believe, some of the recent 40gr pouch blends.]

Above list same as one previously provided by @Leonard.

• Options
    Makes sense, as the horse’s mouth (Brian), got his info from the other horse’s (insert your preferred descriptor here). That would be me.