Home Ask an Expert
Options

X-Large Bowl Pipes - Tobacco Hardening?

Though I may have the "Master" status here... I pose my question to the group and to our TPL MASTERS...

I have a Rossi 8320 which has the Savinelli "EX" sized bowl. The bowl is massive. To give you the run down, I've smoked only about 5 bowls through it. In order to break it in, I have only been loading half bowls; however, after about 10 minutes in and a few tamps the tobacco starts to "harden". When I get down to what I think is the "end" of the bowl it's basically a lump of coal. And then assuming I've finished it, I let it cool, and then when i clean out the bowl, a lump of unsmoked tobacco falls out.

I've had other owners of the same pipe tell me it's taken them a LONG time to break in this pipe, but I'm not sure if its because of the size that I should be packing it differently. I've tried tamping lighter and lighter and it seems to yield the same or slightly more favorable results.

I've only put in burley blends such as Lane Ready-Rubbed and today Drexel II. Nothing overly aromatic.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

For reference:
Lucca 8320 EX

Comments