Home General
Options

What a Local B&M Can Do For You

Was perusing the internet today and found out I missed a seasonal blend last year. Apparently there was a Rattray's Winter Edition 2017 that I didn't know about. This morning I sent a not to one of the guys at Mayan Imports and asked that they check with their distributor to see if they had any left. Five minutes later, I get a call telling me that 2017 wasn't available but they could get the Winter Edition 2018. I have two tins on order now.

Comments

• Options
    The B&M that our pipe club meets in is about 95% cigars. But the owner really likes us. If we make a recommendation for a pipe tobacco blend, he will try to make it happen. For example, when we found out the blend that we would use for the most recent slow smoke contest, we asked if he could order some. About 15 guys wanted a tin, so the shop agreed to get it. Too bad McCelland went out of business before he ordered it.  
  • Options
    Make sure you give us a review once you smoke a bowl, @PappyJoe
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ At least you found a Tinderbox still in business.
  • Options
         Man, I remember The Tinder Box in the mall here when it first opened.  Sad to say I was not 18 when it was open, and did not smoke at that time anyway.  They had cool chess boards, etc.  I always loved the smell of the fresh tobacco and looking at all the pipes.  Nowadays, someone would probably have a conniption seeing underage “kids” in a Tobacco Shop...god forbid.  I wish it still existed, now that I have an appreciation for such things☹️  We do have a few shops that sell tobacco pipes.  “Stogie’s” and two locations for “Tobacco Row”, they both have decent walk in cigar humidors, and actually a pretty good selection of pipe tobaccos (and cigars) for this day and age in a city/town of around 100k people.  I try to pay them a visit and purchase something every so often.  Since there is a state law against smoking in public buildings, including bars, neither have a “Smoking Lounge”.  “Stogie’s” had a “pipe day” a few years ago, they had some free tobacco samples and door prizes, and a sale representative from L’ Anatra with a bunch of new pipes.  They were beyond my means even at a discount, and they were huge pipes.
         There is at least one private “Cigar Lounge” that I know of in town, (it is a way to circumvent the law as it is basically the same as a private home and not subject to the no smoking law) my brother is a member....he has more “folding money” than I...the member fees for the private club/lounge are $68/month😳.
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ  I too remember the tinderbox, shame they have devolved but that's how you survive.
    I just question your sanity as don't you have to go through East St. Louis to get there?
  • Options
    @mapletop No, I'm located in Granite City, so it's I255 to I64 straight to OFallon. 25 minutes... They have a very nice smoking lounge there as well. Very roomy and super comfortable over-stuffed leather chairs...
  • Options
    Being slow and lazy, I missed out on a lot of the Red Flake tins this year. However, I did call the local B&M and the worker there, who knows I'm an Esoterica fan, said "We don't have any red flake, but I have a bag of Penzance for you."  I met him the next morning and bought the Penzance.  Nice people in these tobacco shops...
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited December 2019
    @KA9FFJ
    Went to the Dengler website https://johndenglertobacconist.com - Very nice selection of tobaccos and a form to join mailing list.

When I was in seminary - nine years in Cincinnati -- we went to Straus Tobacconist in the downtown area.
    Established in 1880, they are still going strong. I always stop in on the few times I get to SW Ohio.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited December 2019
    👍
    Dengler goes out of their way to satisfy their customers. Their mailing list is free and very informative.
    They also have a very impressive selection of meerschaum pipes in various sizes and forms...
    When Savinelli is willing to sponsor Dengler, (about 50/50), they make it to the St. Louis pipe show. I hope they make it this year...
  • Options
    This was my go to B&M when I was in seminary....

Fostering a Legacy: Straus Tobacconist

https://tobaccobusiness.com/fostering-a-legacy-straus-tobacconist/
  • Options
    The best thing a local B&M can do for me is - open in my location. Once The Tinder Box closed down I haven't had a tobacco shop for miles around. I live in Gary, Indiana ... and I think the closest shop is in either Chicago or Indianapolis. And with all the violence going on in Chicago I'm not about to get killed looking for a tin of tobacco.
    I'm also afraid because of this Covid thing even more shops that were just limping along will probably be forced to close their doors forever.
  • Options
    @motie2 Straus would get even more business if they had a website to order from. I've been wanting to get an order of "Sleepy Hollow" for quite some time but they don't make it easy to order it. I hate giving out my credit card number over the phone ... I realize it can get hacked on-line as well ... but it just seems even less secure giving out your number to a stranger over the phone with no real security measures to speak of..
  • Options
    @motie2
    How can you post that photo and not tell us where it's at?

Or is that your house?
  • Options
    @PappyJoe

"My house."  Ha-ha.... good one. SWMBO allows me two bookcase shelves, for pipes, tobaccos and accoutrements. and then I must smoke outside.

The picture was found while wandering down an internet rabbit hole.
    It impressed the heck out of me, and I thought I'd share it with my friends.!
  • Options
    Well the pic can't be that old.  There's a lot of tins there with that stupid warning label on the bottom half of the lids. 
    I'd tell you guys it was my cellar, but I think that would be a hard sell... 🙄

• Options
    I can't tell if the warnings are in English or not. I'd guess with the selection of Samuel Gawith tins, it may be a European shop? Either way, impressive as heck! 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I see a tin of W.O. Larsen’s “Indigo”, maybe some “Black Diamond” too....Yep, not in the U.S. of A.  Dang I need to make an order for some.
  • Options
    @Kmhartle

Be still my heart .... two tins of Sobranie.