Home Pipes & Tools
Options

What is your "favorite" Pipe?....why?

Jeff20Jeff20 Connoisseur
Im an all day smoker myself, this is my work pipe, and it pretty much stays in my shirt pocket. I love this little pipe, I call it "McArthur", ever since i got it, thats what it reminded me of,  and he's as tough as Patton. Lol. ...

Comments

• Options
    I’m more emotionally attached to my Meerschaum. 
  • Options
    I find myself smoking my Bones Pitbull aka a mini bulldog. Only because it's compact, great smoke, easy to use.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    While I love all my briars, if I could smoke my country gentleman corncob pipe every day, I would. For me, it’s become the perfect pipe.

As for my briars, I dearly cherish the Nording Beaver Apple pipe I own. It was my white whale pipe when I first took up pipe smoking, and I'm so happy I was able to find one on ebay.
  • Options
    @Jeff20, Is that a Missouri Meerschaum hardwood pipe?
  • Options
    Jeff20Jeff20 Connoisseur
    @jfreedy, yes it is my friend.
  • Options
    qmechanicsqmechanics Apprentice
    edited July 2018
    Even though she is stored away, one of my favorite pipes is a Ben Wade Golden Matt Made in Denmark (Preben Holm era). Still in a Matt finish and uniquely carved, she is in great condition.

Preben employed quite a few carvers in that era. If I have to take a guess from appearances I believe either Winslow or maybe Preben made this pipe ( I have quite a few pipes from each carver and have been following both men's creations for years). I bought it brand new from a pipe shop in Coral Gables, Florida. It was sitting there amongst~ forty other Danish Ben Wade freehands and kind of called out to me. This was a few years after the Danish Ben Wade pipes had made their run. The last of the pipe shops remaining stock  was displayed for all to see.
  • Options
    Jeff20Jeff20 Connoisseur
    thought this was cool,..a bunch of cobs laying around the missouri meerscham factory floor,  to be made into pipes.
  • Options
    I have to side with @thebadgerpiper. I love my cobs. The Country Gentleman was my favorite until I bought an apple Diplomat, then another. I find myself reaching for a cob more often than anything else. They are just so easy, inexpensive, and supremely functional.

That's not to say I don't enjoy the briars I have. But even though my latest briar is a Savinelli Punto Oro that I found at an antiques show and bought for $8 smokes quite nicely, I'd be kicking myself had I spent much more on it. It looks great but doesn't smoke any better than a MM cob.
  • Options
    @Bloodhound61 I'd never get rid of my briars, but I've been won over by corncob pipes. I didn't think much of them until I purchased a Country Gentleman, and then they clicked with me. If for some reason I ever lost my briars (which I hope never ever happens), I think I'd just buy cobs as replacements. They're simple, no-nonsense pipes that are lightweight and can hold quite a bit of tobacco. Briars have an advantage in the shape department. I love Canadians, Lovats, and Bulldogs, and you can't find cobs that replace them. On my next order, I plan on picking up an apple diplomat and Rob Roy, plus a second Country Gentleman (depending on if they're in stock).

• Options
    RandyB1966RandyB1966 Enthusiast
    thebadgerpiper you should try the Charleston that MM makes with C&D.  I bought one it has nice wide mouth piece and comfortable feel.
  • Options

After giving this much consideration and eye-balling my pipe collection for the proper answer I've come to the conclusion the question is almost as hard as asking which child is my favorite? I like different pipes more than the other for different reasons. Some are my favorite pipes for walking, others are the go-to pipes I reach for unconsciously because they are the closest and seem to get the most use, while some pipes I like simply because of their unique 'look'.   

• Options
    My favorite pipe is my Italian Brigham voyageur one dot. It was my first pipe. Purchased for me by my wife while we were still dating. Smoking it right now with some frog Morton cellar!
  • Options
    thebadgerpiper you should try the Charleston that MM makes with C&D.  I bought one it has nice wide mouth piece and comfortable feel in the mouth.
  • Options
    thebadgerpiper you should try the Charleston that MM makes with C&D.  I bought one it has nice wide mouth piece and comfortable feel in the mouth.
  • Options
    @RandyB1966 I picked one up at the Chicago show, and I'm quite fond of it. It has a great design.
  • Options
    So many pipes for so many reasons, but my favorite pipe(s)  because they smoke so well are. my (3) Stanwell shape 15. A black brushed and two smooth, they just smoke better than any other pipes I own.
  • Options
    I have a savinelli st. Nick from 2016 that I smoke once a day every day. Only nightcap goes in it and only for the last smoke of the evening. That is the one pipe I would hate to lose. Other than that I rotate between basket briars that I have smoked for years. Usually once winter hits I switch to several different cobs and rest my briars for a few weeks. As for the cobs, all shapes and sizes as I got almost all of them in smokeable seconds grab bags
  • Options
    I have a lot pipes and love and smoke all of them. 
  • Options
    I have two Corey Pipes and love them both. One is a genuine Show Stopper. And the other is fast becoming my 'go to' pipe.
  • Options
    JdukesJdukes Apprentice
    edited October 2018
    I love that pipe shape @KA9FFJ

My favorite for the last 6 months is this Neerup Easycut 3. I honestly haven’t found any that have smoked this well. It’s my go to pipe 80% of the time. 
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited October 2018
    VERY NICE! @Jdukes By the way, I've done 5/6 bowls in the above pipe... HEAVEN...
  • Options
    While at the university I worked at a Tinder Box store - I was able to gain an impressive collection of Dunhills, Charatans, Caminettos, Savanelli Autographs and Ben Wade freehands - I sold a my collection in 1989 except for 2 Ben Wades. I sold a second collection of mostly Savanelli Autographs in 1994 - once again except for the two Ben Wade freehands. So naturally I started on a third collection which I'm keeping. But of all the pipes I've ever owned my two favorites are still  the Ben Wade freehands. These two pipes encompass everything a pipe is to me - beautiful straight grain, perfect fit for my hand, really good smoking and each a unique work of art. And the only tabac I've ever smoked in them is Escudo.