Home Tobacco Talk
Options

D&R "pipe" tobaccos

qmechanicsqmechanics Apprentice
edited May 2018 in Tobacco Talk
Hi
  It is my understanding that the Daughters & Ryan company has been traditionally known for two things saving Perique and blending RYO tobaccos. Somewhat recently they have moved into making blends for the pipe tobacco market as the cigarette tax has become problematic (Some still use their "pipe" tobacco for RYO applications though the blends are now made with pipes in mind (thicker cut etc.)). After reading good pipe tobacco reviews for D&R's Rimboche varieties, I am thinking of purchasing a few tins. So the questions I have are: Is my information correct(and/or can anyone give more information/details)? Has anyone here sampled the Rimboche varieties and/or other D&R blends? What are your opinion of the "pipe" tobacco(s) smoked?
Best

Comments

• Options
    PipepalPipepal Newcomer
    Have tried London dock and its good although I think I lean more towards milans our London dock cause its less aromatic
  • Options
    ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited May 2018
    P&C had a sale on Rimboche, so I purchased each tin. Comes super dry out of each one I opened and that sounded standard among reviews about it. So it’ll make you work for it.

The Acadian Black or “A.B.” blend is my favorite so far. I’m a huge Latakia and there is a decent enough amount for me to like this. I do recommend it. 

A.P. is pretty dead in my opinion. More grassy than anything really. Nothing to write home about. Used that one for my personal blends. 

I will let you know about the St. James. It’s the only one I cellared in a jar and haven’t tried.

My ultimate opinion is that you can find much better blends from D&R...English Hoopla is really good. It’s a light English with a hint of vanilla.
  • Options
    PipepalPipepal Newcomer
    I tried a tin of English hoopla that a guy gave me.like a trailer park housewife no taste
  • Options
    You really want no taste. Try the A.P. Rimboche. Lol.
  • Options
    I have a tin of their London Dock blend, which I purchased after reading it was a replica of an old pipe tobacco blend. While I don't think I'll get another tin of it, it's definitely an aromatic pipe tobacco blend. I wouldn't mind ordering one or two of the blends in the Raccoon line, but other than that, my focus is on other blenders.
  • Options
    PipepalPipepal Newcomer
    Milan tobacconists do a great job with replica tobacco.besides their version of London dock they offer their own versions of Kentucky club blends.I realize I may be going off the rails a bit.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
     I appreciate the responses and hope for more to come.
    Personally I enjoy both Latakia and Virginia based blends though not a big fan of cased tobaccos.The reason Rimboche caught my eye is my enjoyment of Virginia Perique (AB with Latakia added) blends. Rimboche is advertised as pure tobacco (no additives), spoken of as quality tobacco and made in the house of Perique.  With that said I will look into any D&R products recommended here as I have a taste for a variety of blends, even lightly cased pipe tobaccos from time to time😁. Bottom line the tobacco(s) flavor(s) have to be the star(s) of the game.

@ocpunk714 As an English/Balkan Latakia fan, do you enjoy pure Virginia or Vaper blends? Do you find them tasting similar or generally not to your liking?. My questions are an attempt to gauge you palate and experience with pure Virginia Vaper blends.  I appreciate your posts (please continue) and thank you for the information.

I place all Virginia or Vaper purchases into  storage for a min. of a year (Rimboche AB with Latakia might be sampled earlier for comparison but should also improve in certain respects with its high Virginia content.) before smoking (as ocpunk714 has done with Rimboche SJ). Aging has a big impact on Virginia tobaccos (commonly known)and is easier to do when one has other blends like SG's SJF & FVF etc. to smoke while waiting lol.

Still hoping for other members  who have experience.with Daughters and Ryan pipe tobaccos (with an eye to Rimboche varieties) to join in.😁
  • Options
    ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited May 2018
    @qmechanics

Pure Virginia and vaper blends are most definitely distinct. I find some vapers unfavorable, but there are some I really like. PS Luxury Navy Flake, Bullseye Flake are two of my favorites. I dabbled in a little Orlik GS, but really wasn’t into it much. The PS packs more of a punch and I enjoy that more than the grassy, citrus vaper blends. 

Also put some time into blending personal stuff and have found that Stoved Black Virginia is my favorite Virginia. I’ve bought Lane blending tobaccos and have some of my own home shredded Canadian Virginia.

I’ll let the SJ sit. Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    @ocpunk714
      I appreciate your response and am coming to understand your palate a bit better. I also enjoy the PS blends you mentioned and am a bit surprised you did not have a taste for Orlik GS (not my favorite but a nice smoke to my palate). Aging all the above 1-3 years at a min should help quite a bit. (The tobacco will improve  long after  ~3 years however at a reduced pace. This is based on posts etc read and my experience. But keep in mind if you can deep cellar Virginias, they can become sublime.)

Note: It looks like you might enjoy stronger Vapers. One of my favorites is Samuel Gawith's  St James Flake.