Home General
Options

The state of the Pipe Industry?

Bloodhound61Bloodhound61 Master
edited May 2018 in General
I ran across this article on the decline of pipe smoking since the 1970’s. No real secret there. I’m sure some/most of you have read it previously. Considering the cited 90% decrease in pipe tobacco sales since that time and the social trends that may have played a part, does anyone have any insight into the overall health status of the industry? By industry, I mean everyone from the tobacco producer to the pipe maker.

I’m sure there has been consolidation and such for companies to remain profitable, but I’m curious as to the long term prospects. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/18/AR2005061801145_pf.html

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Master
    I found this as the most current on the subject:  https://www.verywellmind.com/the-hazards-of-pipe-tobacco-4106637

I also came across this article from 2014:  https://medium.com/@pylorns/pipe-smokers-live-longer-ffb9faa23c6b

I knew a lot of men who were pipe smokers and lived well into their 90s.  As with anything in life, whether it's food, alcohol, tobacco, or women, enjoy everything in moderation and take personal care of yourself will be a tremendous benefit.  As with cigarettes, those who inhale are likely to suffer the effects of smoking related diseases more so then a person who does not inhale. 

Any health-related or government-related articles on the subject of smoking will always discourage smoking and and will persuade a person to quit all tobacco-related enjoyment.  Much like the discouraging of drinking alcohol 100-yrs ago. 

While we are still somewhat free in this country and while the general tobacco supply lasts, I intend to enjoy smoking both pipes and cigars for as long as I am able to or as long as my personal supply lasts. 

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Appreciated, @Charles.  What I’m asking is whether the industry, meaning the businesses that supply us with tobacco and paraphernalia, is expected to remain healthy, i.e. profitable enough to continue offering the variety and quality of goods we currently have on the market. Or at what point does the decline in pipe smokers really hit a Missouri Meerschaum, a Peterson, or a tobacco producer. 

This, of course, is separate but entangled with the whole deeming issue.
  • Options
    @Bloodhound61 That article is now almost 13 years old. My opinion is that there has been a slight uptick in the number of pipe smokers in the U.S. since then because of social media and the Lord of the Rings movies.

The biggest danger to pipe smoking these days are the pending FDA deeming regulations but I don't think that is going to drive all the pipe tobacco off the market.
  • Options
    @Charles - The first link is to a biased article written by an anti-tobacco organization that blatantly mischaracterizes the dangers from pipe smoking and lumps pipe smoking in with cigarette smoking. There have been other studies - including those by government agencies - that say the risks to pipe smokers are about the same as they are to non-smokers.
  • Options
    jim102864jim102864 Master
    edited May 2018
    @PappyJoe I agree that the FDA deeming rule is the greatest threat to the success of the Pipe and Tobacco industry.  It's been my experience that due to lack of interest and perhaps a degree of apathy, there are many who enjoy pipes and cigars who either don't understand what the FDA is doing or don't seem to be terribly interested or both.  The potential catastrophic impact to both industries is real and imminent.  Public opinion certainly doesn't help our cause either.  While efforts are underway by various interests to curb or eliminate the FDA's overreach, involvement and push back by those who enjoy pipes and premium cigars is necessary lest we see even more regulation in the future...or worse.  
  • Options
    While certainly there should be concern about the FDA rulings, if there's one thing I've learned in my life, it's that people don't like being told what to do by the government. I'm sure some will give up at the first sign of opposition, others will dig their heels in and find a way to keep the hobby strong.
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    The recent increase in pipe smoking is coming from RYO cigarette tobacco being sold as pipe tobacco.
    IMO the biggest threat is coming from companies and their insurance providers going tobacco/nicotine free as a condition of employment. The company my company is contracted to tests their employees.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Master
    @Bloodhound6, I miss understood.  Sorry about that.
  • Options
    @Charles, I used “health” and “tobacco” in the same sentence....that would normally go right where you did, lol
  • Options
    @daveinlax Are you kidding?  Wow.  We are clearly entering a new level of restriction and oversight by our overlords, aren't we?  I find it annoying that my employer's benefit plan asks if you're a smoker (my wife's employer does too).  I always check off "no" as I do not consider pipe and cigar smokers as "smokers" in the way I do cigarette smokers.  Maybe I'm just naive, but I'm also not going to give my employer a sample of my dna nor allow them to implant a f-*&$@! chip in my head either.  
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    For those of you who didn't catch this a while back, I'm resending... Please notice the source in the bottom right corner...
  • Options
    Unfortunately, that's a pretty old study (1960 something?) and likely would factor little in the current climate driven by political correctness and taxation motivation.

Still, good information for those of us who might be concerned for personal reasons.
  • Options
    @Bloodhound61 The National Survey on Drug Use and Health states that 0.8% of the US population are active pipe smokers. That percentage has remained pretty constant since 2002. I estimate that while the percentage holds steady, the number of pipe smokers are increasing along with overall US population growth.

While on paper this sounds like a good thing, more pipe smokers, YAY!! However, the newer smokers entering the hobby are not exclusively smoking a pipe. They're experimental and are more likely to try new things, whether it be different pipe blends, cigars, hookah, smokeless, etc. So overall more people are potentially smoking a pipe than ever, but there is less pipe tobacco being consumed.

I agree with you @PappyJoe, the current FDA deeming rules aren't going to kill the pipe tobacco category. But in my opinion, what could destroy the category is a flavor ban, which the FDA is currently considering: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/03/21/2018-05655/regulation-of-flavors-in-tobacco-products

They're exploring how flavors attract youth into tobacco product use as well as whether/how certain flavors may help adult cigarette smokers reduce cigarette use and switch to potentially less harmful products. The FDA is accepting public comments until 6/19/2018 before they convene for any potential rule-making.
  • Options
    @NicoleSTGLaneLtd, many thanks for the contribution! I am honored that you pitched in. What is your (or the industry) feeling as to whether such a flavor ban will come to pass? I'm assuming STG has some indication as to how this is leaning? My other question is whether the industry has made enough of a case for premium cigaring and piping to get these hobbies exempted entirely from further regulation, or if that is considered a lost cause.

A couple of thoughts based on my reading of the link you sent:
    - These are not "tobacco" rules being considered. These are "nicotine" rules.  Expanding the discussion to include all forms of nicotine use and paraphernalia, allows for growth of the FDA and sources of tax revenue but does nothing to solve the only nicotine-related health problem of national significance IMHO, the smoking of manufactured cigarettes.  The Government is incapable of prioritizing to solve a problem, assuming solving a problem is an actual goal. Sorry for the micro-rant.

- The FDA has discovered (backed by science!) that people tend to consume more of things that taste good. God help us if Big Food or Big Candy stumble onto these findings. It could create an obesity problem in the country.
  • Options
    As a strictly aromatic smoker this would be the death knell for me. Comments like that make me grateful that I did over-buy and filled my cellar with an ungodly amount of tobacco.
  • Options
    @Bloodhound61 I wish I could answer all your follow up questions, but I personally don't have the slightest insight into the FDA's plans, beyond what they publish to the public. The Pipe Tobacco Council and International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers Association represent the industry locally and in Washington on legislative matters, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are lawyers from individual tobacco companies lobbying too.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    All I can say is, we have far too much government controlling The People in far to many aspects of daily life. That is not what our government was originally designed to do. 
  • Options
    The world is a tiny bit more complicated nowadays than it was in 1776.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @AnantaAndroscoggin, while I can certainly see why you'd say that, I'd argue that the world hasn't changed a bit. We have simply let distractions take over and be mistaken for issues. And we have a bureaucracy ready and willing to take on any distraction that grows its budget.

I do wish someone with an iota of common sense from the FDA would read over the posts in this group. It would be apparent within a half hour that further regulating pipes & pipe tobacco equates to cracking down on the fine wine industry in an effort to curb alcohol abuse.
  • Options
    Well said Bloodhound.

While our current reality is, well...   Our Current Reality, it doesn't make it right.  Over reach by our elected civil servants and their appointed bureaucrats was never the intent of the founding fathers, regardless of how "simple" of a time we perceive their time in history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Food_and_Drug_Administration

For an organization, that was originally formed to prevent the adulteration or misbranding of food and drugs on the American Market, the current heavy handed actions we have witnessed, as they relate to tobacco, are an incredible act of self anointed empowerment over the citizenry of our nation.

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Elected officials are public service.
    In the USA, elected officials are self serving on our dime.
  • Options
    Still can't see how they are applying restrictions to 'the pipe' as well as the tobacco. It would be like putting restriction of the spoon and fork when regulating certain food products.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, look up "metastatic malignancy".....that's how the departments sustain themselves, by invading otherwise healthy tissue