Home Pipes & Tools
Options

My Pipes

I have for some time now read a considerable number of posts that point out favorite pipes in everyones "collections". I have what is a "modest" collection of 29 pipes, several of which are just over 50 years old. I have mostly relatively inexpensiove pipes, the most expensive of which are 2 Savinellis purchaseds within the last year or so. I only have Briar and Corn Cob pipes.

Now, the Savinellis smoke great, no question. But my all time favorites are the Medicos, Dr. Grabows, Kaywoodies, and the Cobs.

I seem to grab these pipes without too much thought when ready to smoke some tobacco.

Point being, as a lot of you experience pipesters can relate, you do not need to spend a fortune for a great smoke.

Comments

• Options
    @pwkarch ~ So very true! I have some Nordings that smoke great and my @Corey562 pipes are some of my favorites and best smoking.  That said, I often gravitate to the first pipe I ever bought, a basket pipe, cobs and (thanks to our ailing dear friend @motie2) I've become a believer of Carey pipes. I tend to smoke those more than the others. 
  • Options
    pwkarchpwkarch Master
    I suppose the "take away" for those just starting out in the pipe scene is "you don't HAVE to buy a super expensive pipe to enjoy the lifestyle" or hooby, habit, or whatever this is.
  • Options
    Well said, @pwkarch@Kmhartle, ever try one of the MM hardwoods? I’ve been wondering about them as I am turning into a MM junkie, I think
  • Options
    rumrum4merumrum4me Professor
    I have a MM hardwood pipe that's about 20 years old. I think it's maple, and it smokes just fine. I also have a pear wood pipe, morta wood pipe, and I've smoked a WWII era Dr. Grabow made from mountain laurel. What's the verdict? Nothing beats briar or a cob. They don't get as hot, and they can be had fairly cheap, especially in the estate market for briars. No one NEEDS a $300+ pipe to get a good smoke. The fun in cheap pipes as well as expensive pipes is the hunt, and the urge to try something different. Only your pocket book can determine how much you want to explore different brands of pipe. 

You should also explore meerschaum pipes too. Wonderful smoking instruments, and are available at a number of price points. 
  • Options
    Sitting around the house, my go to pipes lately have been - in no particular order - 1926 Dunhill, Rinaldo Triade Bent, Rinaldo Triade Straight, Santambrogio Bent, Salmon & Gluckstein straight, Big Ben Crosly Volcano, Maestro Beraldi, Maestro de Paja Sitter, Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson Bent and a artisan pipe - a Snapping Turtle by Zack Hamric that I only smoke flakes in.

That being said I have 5 cobs that see actions every week along with my collection of 5 Meerschaums. And numerous inexpensive estate pipes. 

I have no favorites.
  • Options
    @Bloodhound61 ~ I had a MM hardwood maple a few years back.  I really liked it and it smoked just fine. Unfortunately, I lost it. :neutral: I'm pretty sure it fell out of my fishing vest on an outing, never to be seen again. For the price, you can't go wrong
  • Options
    @Kmhartle, good to know, thank you. Yet another item now on the wish list. 
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    I presently have over 75 pipes. Although I am breaking in 4 newly acquired AB Pipes ( @Corey562 ), 66 of those pipes are old used estate pipes that I have refurbished. That being said, I usually find myself grabbing no-names, etc., that over the years have proven themselves to be great smokers. 
    The short of it: famous named pipes may improve your odds of owning a good smoker, but the cheaper pipes have more than a good chance of becoming one as well (and a lot easier on the pocket book)...
  • Options
    My fave is my first pipe. 20yrs later Savinellie Roma.
    Go to pipe? Never thought I'd be a cob guy, but dang...I love my MM Poker Dagner. I just completed a repair on this pipe and love the result.
    Wood putty for two cracks, sanded, stained and sanded again. Pic here:

• Options
    For the time being I have only one pipe. A Morgan Bone 1/2 bent. I really like it and it was not very expensive. 
  • Options
    @BadCalvinist, as you expand your collection, don't neglect to take a look at Missouri Meerschaum. The cobs are incredibly inexpensive and smoke great. They're also terrific when you want a fresh pipe for trying new blends. 
  • Options
    @BadCalvinist ~ The Morgan Bones is on my wish list. I'm waiting for some of the styles I like to get back in stock. I haven't heard of anyone who hasn't liked them.  I'm a recent convert to smoking Carey pipes. They also smoke well and are reasonably priced. 
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    I am a fan of tobaccopipes.com and you never pay shipping.😁
  • Options
    I'm a fan of pipes I find at antique/collectible shops, street fairs, junk shops and flea markets - if you look carefully at the pipes and get lucky you can find some good pipes for under $30. You just have to learn how to restore them to smoking condition.

You may just find old Kaywoodies and Dr. Grabows for $10 or $15 each. Once restored, they are more than worth the money.
  • Options
    I would have to say my favorite would be one I made a while back.
  • Options
    To be perfectly honest I have about 50 pipes in my collection and they all seem to smoke the same. Some may be a bit wetter than others - but I attribute that to me and my choice of aromatic blends. I don't think I paid more than $150.00 for a pipe, with a good portion well under $50.00. And an assortment of basket pipes under $20.00. All that really matters is the tobacco you put inside. I usually don't select a daily pipe based on it's smokability - but the mood I happen to be in and the pipe that strikes my fancy that particular day. I get more satisfaction finding an Estate pipe at a second hand shop or antique store for $10.00 or $15.00 and restoring it, than saving up enough mad money to spend on a $400.00 pipe.  
  • Options
    pwkarchpwkarch Master
    @ghostsofpompeii
     Agreed buddy. I have only spent $100 on 2 pipes, both Savinellis because I fell in love with the shapes. The rest are mostly Kaywoodies, Medicos (briars), Grabows, and several older pipes I have had for 50 years. I too grab whichever pipe I fancy just bnefore I smoke. Usually with no rhime or reason. I agree with you, the most critical decision Ihave to make is selecting my tobacco choice. And I have a significant number of Mason jars all calling my name.

And, thankfully by now I know how to treat those tobaccos, as you know some require a bit more loving care when you smoke them, yet others could care less they just want to be incinerated.

For the last several weeks or so I have been on a Captain Black (white) bent.....and enjoying it.
  • Options
    @pwkarch Last night I pulled out a Mason jar of the original Captain Black and enjoyed the Hell out of it. I know it's much maligned by several in the community, but I really find it almost as enjoyable as the much more expensive blends I've been buying. I guess I just needed to be away from it for a while to realize just how good it is. Right now I estimate my cellar to have a minimum of 75 different blends but my favorite go to blends seem to be the three East India Trading Company blends "Officer's Club", "Cellar Reserve", and "Royal Challenge", as well as the Sutliff blends "Molto Dolche", "Barbados Plantation", "Vanilla Custard", "Chocolate Mousse", Maple Walnut, and a few Russ Monthly Blends ... especially "Warm Up". But last night's bowlful of regular Captain Black was just as enjoyable. The only downside with Captain Black is it dries out my mouth while smoking. Not tongue burn - just a dry sensation. But that's easily alleviated by drinking a cup of tea or coffee - which is something I usually do anyway.   
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii
    You said exactly what I was thinking. It is maligned but I figure that just leaves more for us. And as folks have said in the past regarding some of the "gold standard" blends, there is a reason why they have been around as long as they have. This is still a quality smoke disguised as a "codgers blend", or "drug store tobacco", or other descriptions I have seen over the years. This makes for a very enjoyable smoke. It burns significantly quicker than some of the more "elegent" blends', it can bite if mistreated, and I agree with your analysis of drying the back of the throat at times. The bulk is less likely to irritate the throat than the pouches which I assume is the humectant added for the retailers. It is gracious as it leaves a nice soft whitish ash with no dottle.

I like the blend. I also think the original is the best of the Captains' "fleet". I have them all jarred and have tried them all with the original my favorite. Next I think the dark or the royal, or the royal then the dartk....too close to call. A significant positive issue is three fold: 1.) it is comparitively cheaper than a lot of blends (particularly if bought in bulk), 2), no matter where you travel and you are out of tobacco you will probably find it rather inexpensive again compared to the more "elegent" blends, and 3) it has a great aroma almost always prompting favorable comments..

I too have about the same number of blends jarred in my office closet PROUDLY displayed, and almost 40 lbs. of my favorites jarred and cellared, in my real cellar on shelves. Sometimes it is hard to make a decision much like being a kid in a candy store.

So it is my pleasure to smoke these "less elegent" blends when in a hurry, or while running around, or truth being told anytime I want a great smoke.

I am very much a blue collar kind of guy, I drink domestic beer, smoke mid range cost maduro cigars, and I at my stage of life am not out to impress anyone. So me and the Captain will stay friends.

I hope all is well with you and your family.........
  • Options
    Jeff20Jeff20 Connoisseur
    3 generations of my family has sailed with the captain. I too have 4 blends in the "galley" myself. Even though i have branched out to some custom blends. Everytime i light a bowl, i think of my grand dad.
  • Options
    I have to admit with all of my blends that I have collected, I smoke CB Original (White) very often. You always know what the ol' Captain brings to the pipe.
  • Options
    KenofAhwlbyKenofAhwlby Enthusiast
    I have a hardwood pipe that I’ve enjoyed for over 40 years,,, It coiuld be cherry as I got it in the Cherry Capital of America.   Or it could be maple....Smokes nice and cool,,, probably get another hardwood from MM>
  • Options
    Jeff20Jeff20 Connoisseur
    I just purchased MM maple from pipes and cigars about a month ago, ( i saw somewhere someone mentioned this) and i think its the best 5.00 spent ever.
  • Options
    Jeff20Jeff20 Connoisseur
    On that same note, this is a fantastic smoking pipe.Wondering is there any particular blends that that smoke better in these pipes, or should i say compliments, these pipes.?