Home Pipes & Tools
Options

My Corncob Pipe Facelift Project

A month or two ago, PappyJoe posted a blog on here from Reborn Pipes on how to change the appearance of an old corncob pipe.

Here's the link if you missed it: https://rebornpipes.com/2014/06/25/a-quick-and-easy-face-lift-for-a-missouri-meerschaum-corn-cob-pipe/

I bookmarked the page, as it seemed like a project that was up my alley. I've always wanted to dabble in pipe making/ fixing, but I'm not exactly the handiest person when it comes to working with my hands. I wanted to change that, and this seemed like an easy project to dip my toes into. So about two weeks ago, I took the directions from Reborn Pipes site, picked up some wood filler, a furniture marker, and some sandpaper.

This was the before and after picture of my first cob. Unfortunately, the furniture marker I chose to color in my cob was too similar to the original. While the left over wood filler on the cob aged it's appearance, I needed to pick up some other markers to truly give the cob a new look. So back to the store I went, and picked up Mahogany Red and Natural Brown markers. (On a side note, I also picked up a putty knife. I recommend picking one up for the project, as it helps give an even spread with the wood filler.) I took my Twain cob, covered it in wood filler, sanded it down, and colored it in with the Mahogany Red marker. As you can see below, it did the trick.

Overall, I'm very happy with the results of this project, and plan on purchasing some more cobs to work on. If you have some old cobs sitting around and don't mind getting your hands dirty, I recommend spending an afternoon and giving it a try yourself.

Comments

• Options
    On a side note, I just uploaded my latest post on my pipe blog all about corncob pipes. Give it a read if you have a few spare minutes.

https://thebadgerpiper.wordpress.com/2018/05/02/its-cobbin-time/

• Options
    @thebadgerpiper ~ I really enjoyed the latest post on your blog about corncob pipes.  Great job!  I hope it will be added to the library that @motie2 has created here on the forum. Great information and it was entertaining. Thanks for sharing! 
  • Options
    Great job. Looks more like a briar.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words @Kmhartle . If @motie2 chooses to add it to the library, I'd be honored.

Thanks @ghostsofpompeii ! My goal was to give the Twain a different color from the rest of my cobs. While I love my cobs, they all have a similar color to them. Now it has a bit more personality.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper, nice job on both the blog piece and the pipe. You’ve inspired me to tackle a couple of older cobs of my own that are good candidates for a facelift.
  • Options
    That's great to hear @Bloodhound61 ! Be sure to post your results. I'd be interested in seeing them.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Thanks for sharing @thebadgerpiper I found this very interesting...
  • Options
    I just posted this photo in another thread, but thanks to @thebadgerpiper I decided to give it a try on a cob that needed repair of a few major cracks in the cob.
    Smokes like a champ.
    I love the results:

• Options
    RandyB1966RandyB1966 Enthusiast

That looks fantasic rumrum4me.

• Options
    I said it on Instagram, and I'll say it here, nice job on the Dagner @Mangoandy !

@rumrum4me Great job on the Cobhill. I'm sure some would wince at taking a Dunhill and modifying a cob on it; but when a Dunhill is that far gone, you might as well play around with it.

I received a cob in the mail from @ocpunk714 a few weeks ago, and I haven't broken it in yet, as I'm planning on performing a project on it. Nothing drastic like taking it apart, but I think I'm going to stain it like a briar. Since the cob has an unfinished, rough bowl, I think staining over using wood filler and a furniture marker is the way to go so I don't lose it's unique properties.

• Options
    @rumrum4me I'll bet that Dunhill Cob has turned a few heads if you happen to be in a Pipe Club. Pretty damn cool. 
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @thebadgerpiper, you have inspired me with the cob refacing idea and your cool blog. I'm gonna try this on one of my older cobs. Thanks man!
  • Options
    @Londy3 Awesome, be sure to post your results when its finished!

I want to add one more step to the process that I stumbled upon from youtube (by the other BadgerPiper out there. Yes, there's two). One part of the cob renovations that I wasn't a fan of was the feeling of the wood filler on my cob once everything was finished. I missed the coating that was originally on the cob, and wasn't sure how to get it back on my cobs. Now, I've found how to get that back, and it's easy.

Buy a spray can of Shellac Clear. This is a resin that will add a protective, clear coating to your cob once it's been sanded and colored in. With the stem and plastic ring still removed from the cob, place a paper towel in the bowl and spray all over the cob (careful not to get it into the bowl or inside the shank) until there's an even coat. Let it dry for about an hour and spray again. Once dry, the cob should have the same texture from before you started the project.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @thebadgerpiper, sounds good. That's exactly what I was going to do for a Finnish. Thanks for verification! 
  • Options
    Finished up a new cob today. This time, I used leather dye to stain my Marcus cob. I applied a coat or two a day and would let it dry in the basement. Then, once it was at a color I wanted, I applied my finish to it. 

I’m happy with how it turned out. Next time I go this route, I’ll try sanding first, but this one turned out well.

• Options
    @thebadgerpiper — man, I like that color. I may do this to my Marcus too. 
  • Options
    @jfreedy I might be wrong on the exact color (I'll check once I go inside, and if I'm wrong, I'll make a note), but this was the brand I used.

You can find it at Michaels in their leather work aisle, or order it off amazon. I applied the dye about four or five times with one of those black sponge wipes for painting rather than a brush. I didn't sand the cob, so the dye would run a bit down the pipe. I suggest letting it dry upside down or a newspaper, or placed on top of something to let the excess run off. Once it was at the color I wanted, I applied two coats of a finishing spray, which finished the job. Be careful getting the dye/spray in the bowl, and I also suggest using a glove for holding the cob while staining it.

I'm not the handiest when it comes to crafting projects, but this was super easy to do. It requires a bit of waiting while each coat dries, but you can do other things while you work on it. You'll end up with a cob that's unique to your style.

• Options
    Wrapped up work on another cob, which had been gifted to me by @ocpunk714. This is a Missouri Pride, and I figured I could stain it as is with leather dye, and then spray a finish on it. However, I soon ran into an unforeseen issue.

Since a Missouri Pride is unfinished, there are a lot of grooves from where the kernels used to be. No matter how I tried to stain it, the dye refused to stick inside the grooves. This gave the pipe an ugly appearance, so to save it I coated the bowl with wood filler, sanded it down, and applied a few coats of the dye, followed by a dark brown furniture marker.

The cob came out darker than I originally planned, but that’s fine, as it doesn’t look at all like the other cobs I’ve worked on in the past. Now that I’ve finished this cob, I know how to handle similar ones in the future.

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @thebadgerpiper, I am working on one of my cobs now and will post pics soon. I used wood glue to fill in cracks I saw in my cob. I think it worked. Next, I will sand it and apply a stain with a final coat of clear shallac. I will be adding a new yellow bent stem that just came in. 
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper - one of the things I've done to change the look with my projects is to initially stain black and then sand some of it off and then restain with a lighter brown stain. One final light sand for smoothness and application of an external varnish returns the smooth feel I like in my cobs. Great stuff here man and a lot of fun for people who like to do some cob mods.
  • Options
    @Londy3 Nice! Post some pictures of them when they're finished. I can't wait to see them.

@Mangoandy That's an excellent idea! I'm a beginner with all this crafting, so I'm not an expert by any means. That suggestion though should take the cobs to the next level. Now I just need to order some soon and try that out.
  • Options
    These all look great! I’m getting inspired to try some cob mod myself. I may buy one of those 7 pipe grab bags of “seconds” from MM to test things out. I’m actually waiting on my Father’s Day gift, an MM Freehand, to come in the mail. I won’t mess with this one but plan on getting the bag-O-pipes afterwards. Keep the pics coming. 
  • Options
    My wife is an art major so I've decided to by a seven pack of seconds from mm so she can try her hand at painting them like cj does. Is there a special paint I need to buy or will oil or acrylic work?
  • Options
    That's a good question. I think oil and acrylic should work. I would just be sure to use a sealant on the cob to give the paint some protection when the paint is dry. Be sure to post photos of the results when she's done.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice badgerpiper I'll have her try both and let you know how it goes. I will also post pics