Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Favorite Pipe Tool?

I'm sure this has been brought up before but with the recent influx of new members who may not have dug in the archived posts, I'm curious what everyone's favorite pipe tool is?

I've got a multitude of different pipe tools.  My local B&M tosses in a Czech tool every time I buy a new pipe.  I've got nails, wood handled tools, stainless steel tools.  Many of which are gifts from well meaning friends and family. I keep a Czech tool or nail in every ashtray outdoors and at least one in my car as a back up. I even have a slim pipe tool on my keychain.  I have no excuse to be caught without one!

My favorite tool is this 3 piece screw together tool. I use it 99% of the time.  It's small,  it's sleek, but most importantly I love it because it's covered. I no longer have accidental ash on my clothes from a dirty tool. Yes, it takes a little more time to unscrew it to use it, but to me it's worth it.  

What's your preferred pipe tool?

Comments

• Options
    So far all I've used is the Czech  tool and a pipe nail.  Cheap stuff.  
  • Options
    @BlueCollarBastard The Czech tool and pipe nail are classics! They all do the same job. I worked with a guy 30 years ago who used regular building nails as a pipe tamper. 
  • Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited March 2018
    My favorite pipe tool is...  STOP! #$%^*! DON'T SAY IT! BE NICE!

Seriously, I have both a Czech tool by Mr. Brog and a couple of pipe nails I carry with me at all times.
    I also have a beautiful tamper which came with one of the new pipes I bought. It sits in my pipe cabinet next to that pipe. I don't carry it because I don't want to appear ostentatious.

(for those who sometimes may not get my witty sense of humor, I offer this definition of "tool": 
    a person used or exploited by another.
    "the beautiful Estella is Miss Havisham's tool"
    synonyms:puppet, pawn, creature, cat's paw;
  • Options
    @Kmhartle I have the same exact pipe tool. It works great. Other than that, I use the Czech tool and pipe nails. I’m not into the fancy tampers since I lose things easily.
  • Options
    Czech tool, or pIpe knife with three functions: long pick/probe, bowl scraper, tamper. Bought on eBay, from China, for $2.00..... with free delivery.
  • Options

I have collected a few pipe tampers over the years, but the one I use that is the definition of form follows function, is the Czech. The L shaped foot is superior for creating the pyramid, I like to keep my ash in. The pick is ideal when I need to use one, and the spoon is one reaming tool that makes it almost impossible to damage a pipe..

There are a lot of pipe tools that are much more eye catching, but I always reach for the Czech. I also like that fact that any time I get one that loosens up, I can lay it on a hard surface, and a quick tap with a small hammer, will expand the brass ring, and tighten it right back up like new.

• Options
    Not because it's fancy or expensive. On the contrary, it's just a 3/8 dowel scrap that I keep in the garage...
  • Options
    Once while at sea, when I had lost or misplaced my last actual tamper, I ended up finishing the patrol by using a 4" stove bolt for a tamper. Ever since then, I try to keep ahead of losses by periodically buying extra pipe nails to stash around.
  • Options
    Here is my favorite Tamper(s)......a spent .45 cal. shell and a cheap ass pine wood dowel. The dowel is dipped in Minwax Stain, then the next day dipped in Minwax Polyurethane.

If I lose my tamper, I go to the range and stop off at Home Depot on my way home. Nothing could be easier or designed simpler except just the dowel (which I also carry). Sorry for the poor quality photo.
  • Options
    @pwkarch — I totally agree! Mine is just a whittled maple twig but I wrapped in deer skin. My current favorite. 
  • Options
    Out of the house a pipe nail or Czech Tool(On my Keyring). At home my old .45 on a STICK>
  • Options
    jdk5hhjdk5hh Apprentice
    My favorite pipetool is one I got off Amazon. The tamp is round and sharp with the post in the center, so I don't have to turn it to tamp the sides properly. Best part, it folds to where the ashy flat of the tamp is somewhat protected so that my pockets don't get ashy themselves.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master

http://www.shpcboston.org/thepipetamper.htm

The Story of the Pipe Tamper by Richard Frederics

Did you ever wonder how the pipe tamper came into being? We give a lot of credit to Sir Walter Raleigh for introducing the smoking of tobacco (in a pipe of course) to the Elizabethan court in 1585. Up until 1881 the pipe was king, but then the cigarette machine was invented. From English sailors to philosophers, to professors, to tavern keepers to generals to your ordinary citizen – everybody had a pipe within reach.

Nothing has changed to ensure a good smoke. Tobacco leaves burning in a pipe bowl, even back then, required special care. To achieve a smooth and even draw of smoke you needed to push or “tamp” the stuff down. It is said that Sir Isaac Newton once used a lady’s finger (still attached to its owner, it seems) to “tamp” his pipe with fiery results. There had to be a better way.

Japan had miniature sculpted figurines, called netsukes that would hang from their purse-strings (basically, these were medicine pouches). Europe came up with figural pipe tampers. Like the netsukes and medicine pouches, tampers or “stoppers” as they were referred to in British English, were small, portable, useful and superbly decorative.

“In the tobacco-stopper alone was anything like taste or fancy displayed. This was the only article on which the English smoker prided himself. It was made of various materials – wood, bone, ivory, mother-of-pearl, brass, and silver: and the forms which it assured were exceedingly diversified.” Joseph Fume 1839

The tamper in a pipe smoker’s hand became a conversational piece. Within these little sculptures every aspect of contemporary life could be depicted, glorified, satirized.

By the 1800’s manufacturing had replaced this craft to a large extent. Pipe smoking, the activity of a slower time, gave way to the faster, disposable cigarette. And tampers? They went the way of crafts people from the workshop to the factory. Nearly all of today’s mass produced tampers are functional – they are not meant to also tell a story, they are only meant to serve a purpose.

More often than not you can’t tell what it really is – something from the garage or perhaps it’s some cooking tool. And while these serve the primary purpose, we have lost what they were also intended to do; yes, be functional but also brought color, thought and humor to the day. It added glorification to the smoker who had this priceless piece in his possession.

I do possess several different pipe tampers that are unique and have a special story behind them. Two are representative of Sherlock Holmes – one being the SHPC tamper of several years back. I have a brass hand tamper that I got at David P. Ehrlichs over forty years ago. And as I write this piece I can’t help but think of the story each one has - where I got them and how I have used them over the years.How many of you have one of those special tampers that you put in the drawer and now use “the nail.” Maybe it’s time to get the special tampers out. 

A Thesis on Tamping by Ernie Whitenack

I have come to a conclusion, after all these years of pipe smoking, that tamping is not only necessary to keeping a pipe lit but, also in controlling the burning quality and pleasure of the tobacco.

Now, I realize many will think I’m full of it and am splitting hairs on a subject that just doesn’t need discussing. In any event, bear with me for a bit as I think I can make your smoking a tad bit more enjoyable.

First off there is the tamper. We all recognize the popular Czech Pipe Tool – the humble but noble Pipe Nail – the Brebbia Horse Shoe Nail with its square tamping surface. Other shapes, sizes and price are uncountable.

And, then there are what I think are the most useless of all, the strange little things that pop out of the sides and bottoms of various pipe lighters. Some are square and quite small; which makes it easy if one wanted to put a square peg in a round hole and completely miss the edges of the hole. Others I've seen were just too short. I personally don't care to juggle a tamper with a comparatively heavy lighter topping it off while performing a task that should be done with precision.

Remember that you are working to keep bits of tobacco in contact so that as a layer burns it will ignite the layer below it. Your tobacco should be at the proper compression before lighting; or at least after the first tamping and relight. Take a few seconds when filling to tamp to a level surface. After that it will be a breeze. Cube and rough cuts require a bit more compression then a shag or ribbon cut.

Keeping the top layer of tobacco and ash level will allow it to burn consistently and slowly while avoiding hot spots at the center or edge of the chamber. The trick here is to use the proper tamper – a round one. After all, you are working within a circular area. Start tamping around the perimeter of the chamber and work to the center. Keep a soft hand to avoid too much compression and a hard draw. Check visually to assure you have a level surface.

When using the Czech Pipe Tool, or others that have one flat side, rotate it as you go around the perimeter of the chamber keeping the rounded part against the edge of the chamber and the flat section facing center.

So, here’s to a cooler more flavorful smoke. It will take a little practice but is well worth

• Options
    After a Czech Tool, believe it or not the tool I use the most often is a Q-Tip, which I soak in Decatur Briar-Fresh and clean out the shank and bowl after each smoke. Of course I need a pipe cleaner for the stem. But I seem to go through as many Q-Tips as I do pipe cleaners. This may be what's keeping me from forming a decent cake in the bowl - but it keeps the pipes smelling fresh rather than having one corner of the room where I keep my pipes smelling like a dirty ashtray.
  • Options
    I use a horseshoe nail right now but I will be making a new one with a .45 cal casing soon. 
  • Options
    OlePopsOlePops Master
    @Michael308 - I had a Give Away on my YTPC channel on YouTube and I made three tampers out of pair wood and .45 casings. I billed them as the wood that "tree that hung John Wilkes Booth". In the video, my brother corrected me and said, "John Wilkes Booth was never hung." so without missing a beat, I said, "The tree that SHOULD'A hung John Wilkes Booth". It went over so well and received so many laughs that it started a line of what is informally know as "Should'a Wood Tampers". Each one with a .45 casing and each one with a unique "should'a wood" story. They are each personalized with names Handcarved on them and I have made about 25 of them with as many different stories to tell. It is starting to get a bit difficult thinking of stories to attach to them, but I'll come up with something. Here is one that isn't personalized or polished out yet.
  • Options
    OlePopsOlePops Master
    They are great for prying open tins, or opening beer bottles on the fly. Tamps a mean pipe too.
  • Options
  • Options
    @OlePops
    Looks to be 45 Colt, not 45 ACP?  I’m a cheap bastard, I need all my 45 casings (both kinds) for reloading....9mm on the other hand...I have $h!tloads 🙂. That tamper might be good for vampires too😬
  • Options
    OlePopsOlePops Master
    @RockyMountainBriar - You are correct. It is a .45 Long Colt. They are casings that have been reloaded 5 or 6 times already...and you would be surprised how many times the vampire conspiracy has been discussed.
  • Options
    @OlePops During the mid-70s' one of my best friends contracted MS in his early 30s'. Well before it was diagnosed we thought something might be wrong with him because he didn't realize it when his cigarette had burned down to a nub between his fingers and was burning his flesh. He also smoked a pipe from time-to-time and the only pipe tool he ever used was his small finger as a tamper. He'd tap the burning ember in the bowl and the tip of his pinky finger had developed a callus from all the times he'd burned it. 
  • Options
    The wife and I decided to go walk around some antique malls Memorial Day weekend. One place had a basket with some broken antler pieces and the thought hit me that they would make nice tampers. I picked up a couple of pieces and asked for a price and the lady said "Is Free a good price?" 

I cut the tines off of the main pieces and smoothed out the ends. The longest one (3rd from the top) is about 4-1/4 inch in length and the top end is actually flat. 
    The smallest one (bottom) is 2-1/2 inches tall.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited May 2019
    I like the caribiner cum pipe tools as posted by @jdk5hh in March.
    (Scroll. Up.)