Home General
Options

Any Horror Stories Concerning Pear Wood Or Alternative Wood Pipes?

More and more pipes seem to be appearing on sites like EBAY made of pear wood (or pear root) and a few other alternative wood products, and I was wondering if anyone has any horror stories to share concerning alternative wood pipes. Burn-outs, health concerns, or unpleasant after taste from the wood.I have several pear woood pipes in my collection (usually a budget priced pipe) and up to this point I've been relatively happy with them, and they seem to smoke just fine. No burn-outs to speak of. But there must be a reason the best manufactured pipes are made of briar. I've never seen a pipe from a company like Peterson, Dunhill, or Savinelli made of any wood other than briar.   

Comments

• Options
    The pipe you see me with in my profile photo was made from maple, and it caught fire more than once.  It hit the bin. Briar is the only way to go, IMHO.
  • Options
    I have 1 pear wood that I smoke from time to time with no problems so far, I have a small Morta that smokes ok and I've admired the Olive Wood pipes that I see in the custom makers listing but , haven't sprung for.
  • Options
    I have 4 Pearwood pipes from Mr. Brog. No problems with them but I recommend smoking slower than a briar. 
  • Options
    I have a Cherrywood that I've had since 1974, I smoked it a lot earlier in it's life and less often now due to the size of the collection.
  • Options

Bought this pear wood pipe from China for 5 bucks + free shipping. It was a dark burgundy and heavily coated. I smoked it and it didn't smoke too badly. All was fine until the tenon broke totally off the stem. I redrilled and added a nontoxic plastic tenon and washer to strengthen the system. Once I completed that project, I totally stripped the stummel and refinished it trying to obtain an "old antiqued" look. It is a decent smoker, but will never compare to good old briar. I did have fun with messing around with it though, and still smoke it from time to time...   

• Options
    Hard to believe that a morta (bog oak) pipe would be very susceptible to burn out. It's almost as dense as briar.
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ You did a really nice job on that pipe. And since you only had $5.00 invested into it you could afford to experiment a little to make any modifications or improvements. Seems thick enough to hold the heat. 
  • Options
    Not a horror story, but a question:

@Woodsman and @PappyJoe
    I had a chunky Ropp cherrywood pipe back in the day, circa late '60's/early '70's. 
    I remember it being more decorative thyan something I frequestly smoked back then.
    I honestly don't remember what smoking it was like. <grammar?>
    Do either of you esteemed gentlemen have anything to share about (decently made/not crap) cherrywood pipes?
  • Options
    Cherrywood is similar to pear root and maple from what I remember. It can make a smokeable pipe but it will get hotter than briar or corn cob.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited April 2019
    @Pappyjoe -- I remember the Ropp having really thick walls (I mentioned "chunky"). 
    Perhaps the heat is transferred by improper curing of the cherrywood?
    I just went looking and found a picture of the pipe:

• Options
    KenofAhwlbyKenofAhwlby Enthusiast
    Have a cherry wood pipe, I’ve smoked for about 50 years,, very fine smoker.. some wood ones from I think MM,, also some of Mr Brog’s pipes, which all smoke well,, especially his churchwardens....However, what do I know ‘cause I mostly smoke ‘the Pipe’ and Venturis,,,,
  • Options
    @motie2 - I think it is more the density of the briar over the density of the apple or pear. The thicker walls on the one you had may have reduced the heat that you felt when smoking it. For example, I have a couple of briars I rescued that get just about as hot as the two Mr. Brog's that I own and the Brog's have thicker walls. None of them get so hot that I can't hold the bowl.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe

As always, I am grateful for your insight. Thanks.
  • Options
    Not a horror story, more of a cautionary tale. I recently purchased a Missouri Meerschaum hardwood pipe and the bowl was varnished on the inside. I tasted more varnish than tobacco on the first smoke. It will probably burn off but I wouldn't recommend this pipe for the beginning smoker. 
  • Options
    @Ron191
    Thanks for the tip. Varnish in a bowl is a good reason to put down that pipe!!!!
  • Options
    Not a horror story, but a picture of a stubby cherrywood pipe.... to me it looks like the stem is inserted upside down.

• Options
    @motie2 and @PappyJoe I recently purchased a Ropp just like the one you posted. I'll have to get off my ass and take a few pictures of my most recent pipes not yet posted. Both my Ropp and the one pictured look a little rough and seemingly made by an amateur pipe maker. At first I thought someone did a hal-assed repair job on mine but apparently that's what they look like. Mine appears to have a hallow stick pushed into the bottom of the bowl - but maybe it is suppose to look like that. More of an organic hand made pipe. 
  • Options
    rumrum4merumrum4me Professor
    Strange as it may seem, the one non briar wood pipe that I couldn't get along with was a Tom Spanu olive wood pipe. I've got cherry wood, maple wood, pear wood, and morta, but for some reason that olive wood pipe, pretty as it was, got way hotter than any of the others. It wasn't thin walled either, but just about any blend I tried heated it up more than any other pipe I've tried, well except for clay pipes. Might have to try another one some day though.
  • Options
    Rumor has it Lovecraft has a long lost story called "The Lurking Pearwood Pipe from Innsmouth". Or was it "The Terrible Cherrywood Carver from Beyond"? I can't remember. Then again, I might be the only source of that fact.
  • Options
    OlePopsOlePops Master
    I have a Walnut pipe that I smoke quite often. It smokes tremendously, but I have heard horror stories about using Black Walnut wood for pipe making. I have heard there is a poisonous emission in the steam that can come from the wood resin. Does anyone know anything about this, because I have access to a nice trunk of Black Walnut. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    https://extension.umd.edu/learn/toxic-plant-profile-black-walnut

Toxic Plant Profile: Black Walnut

Black walnut trees are considered toxic but are unique from most other toxic plants. They are safe to all livestock except horses, and horses are generally only affected by shavings made from the tree. Black walnut trees are, however, toxic to some species of plants if growing within a certain range of the tree. In fewer instances, shedding pollen can cause allergic reactions in horses and people as well as kidney effects in animals that ingest hulls.

Black walnut trees are easy to identify by the large round nuts that drop after the leaves fall in autumn. They are large trees with dark brown bark that is deeply furrowed. The leaves are long and pointed. Black walnuts are fairly common in Maryland and may live for up to 250 years. They are the most commonly planted nut tree in North America, partly because most seedlings germinate from nuts buried by squirrels.

The roots of the black walnut tree produce an organic compound called juglone. Juglone has an allelopathic effect on some other plants, meaning it can stunt their growth or even prevent them from growing. Juglone has its effect by disrupting a plant’s ability to exchange carbon dioxide and oxygen. Not all species of plants are negatively affected by this compound: pasture and turf grasses will grow in the presence of juglone, but many flowers, vegetables, and some species of trees and shrubs will not. Juglone is present in the leaves, roots, husks, and fruit and can be found in the soil throughout the tree’s entire root zone (on average 50 to 80 feet in diameter for a mature tree). Allelopathic effects are not usually observed until the tree is at least seven years old.

Juglone does not pose any threat of toxicity to humans, but gardeners should be aware of its effects and plan accordingly. Using raised beds lined with gardening fabric may make it possible to grow susceptible plants in closer proximity to black walnut trees. Juglone does break down when composted. If black walnut leaves, twigs, or nuts are used in compost to be spread in a garden, the compost should be aged at least one year before being applied.

Horses can be affected by black walnut if shavings made from the tree are used in bedding. As little as 20% black walnut in shavings or sawdust can cause clinical signs within hours of contact. Effects of exposure primarily affect the lower limb and include stocking up, stiff gait, and reluctance to move. If untreated, toxicosis can progress and cause colic, swelling of the neck and chest, elevated heart and respiratory rate, and even laminitis and founder. Clinical signs usually disappear once the bedding is removed. The best way to prevent problems is to ensure that bedding does not contain black walnut. Black walnut shavings are quite dark and easily contrast against light-colored pine shavings. Other livestock species are not affected.

Juglone, the allelopathic chemical produced by the black walnut, was originally suspected as the toxic compound in shavings and sawdust. However, researchers have not been able to reproduce toxic effects when juglone is isolated and administered either dermally (on the skin) or orally (by ingestion). Thus, the toxic compound that causes these symptoms in horses is still unknown.

Black walnut can cause other problems, although these are reported much less frequently than the two described above. Some people and horses are especially sensitive to black walnut pollen and can suffer from allergic reactions when pollen is shed in the spring. Additionally, the husks surrounding fallen nuts can become toxic as they start to decay. Penicillium mold affects the decomposing husk and produces a neurotoxin called Penitrem A, which is toxic to livestock and can be fatal to dogs. People should also be wary; black walnuts are edible but can be contaminated with Penitrem A if they hulls have begun to decompose before the nuts are harvested. 

As Baron Von Raschke used to say, "That is all you need to know."

• Options
    OlePopsOlePops Master
    @motie2 - That might just be a trunk I'd want to leave alone. Thank you, sir. You know, better safe than sorry...