Home General
Options

31 Days Of Halloween - A Pipe And A Movie

Comments

• Options
    @thebadgerpiper Glad you're enjoying 31 days Of Halloween. If you're not a fan of modern horror today's movie is probably right up your alley. You can't get any farther away from modern horror than a 1925 silent movie. I'll bet most everyone knows the story of The Phantom Of The Opera and have seen pictures of Chaney's make-up design - but I'd be willing to bet that not many have actually sat down and watched the movie because it is a silent film.  
  • Options
    I see one mistake in today's post but I'm terrified to correct it. I've written " the 1925 was in black and white but also included a sequence filmed in 2-strip Technicolor" ... it should read ... "the 1925 movie was in black and white ..."  I aint fixing it, but just wanted you to know what it should read.
  • Options

Day Seventeen: The 1995 sci-fi thriller "Species" had a lot going for it upon it's initial release. It was a big budget, effects heavy thriller from a major studio (MGM). It boasted an 'A-List' cast headed by two Academy Award winning actors in Ben Kingsly and Forest Witaker, Emmy Award winner Marg Helgenberger, and award winning actors Michael Madson and Alfred Molina. The film featured a beautifully grotesque creature designed by Swiss artist H.R. Giger, the creator of the iconic xenomorph in Ridley Scott's 1979 sci-fi/horror classic "ALIEN". And quite possible the hottest female alien in newcomer Natasha Henstridge as 'Sil' to grace Planet Earth since Mathilda May, the nude space vampire of Tobe Hooper's 1985 alien invasion flick "Lifeforce". Yet with all that going for it the movie ends up playing more like one of those 'B' sci-fi potboiler produced by Roger Corman for New World Pictures. It's not a bad film by any stretch of the imagination. A passable popcorn movie with potential ... but fell well short of my - and the general audience expectations. Even so it spawned an additional three sequels. Each progressively worse than the other.

S.E.T.I. scientists receive a transmission from space providing them with not only the DNA structure of an alien race, but the details on how to splice both alien and human DNA together to create a human/alien hybrid. Without considering the ramifications of such an experiment - obviously never having studied ancient history or the story of the Trojan Horse - the scientist successfully create a beautiful but deadly female hybrid with an over-active libido and an obsessive compulsion to mate and propagate her species. As is the case in movies such as this the scientist learn too late of her plans to end humanity and replace us with her own species, so she escapes leaving a trail of broken bodies in her wake. The remainder of the film follows a group of scientists and mercenaries sent out to track her down before she can begin the mating process. And as I mentioned earlier, the movie spawned an additional three sequels. So it's safe to assume the team didn't complete their task. I'll give the movie 3 1/2 bowls out of 5. And for the cool looking creature and the equally sexy alien, I'll add another half point to make it an even 4 bowl rating.

The featured pipe is my H.S. Studio Pipe which has a certain H.R. Giger influence in the design. And the blend I'll be smoking is Captain Black Special Blend "Midnight Gold".

• Options
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Very nice looking pipe.....
  • Options
    @motie2 I love that pipe. At first I was afraid it was going to be too short - a nose warmer that would eventually cost me my beard when lightening it. But it turns out it wasn't that short after all. It actually photographed much better on this picture than my first photo shoot. 
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Except for the base rim (?) it would be called a volcano shape, yes?
  • Options
    @motie2 I'm really not sure what you'd call it. I do have a volcano shaped pipe and it's not quite the design. I'm still having trouble figuring out what an Author from a Rhodesian, an Apple, and a few others. I know what a bent pipe is and what's a straight ... but that's about it. Even when I'm looking at a chart it's sometimes had to differentiate. I do have another H.S. Studio in the exact shape and style that really does look like an erupting volcano and I do call it my volcano pipe whether it's the proper terminology or not.  
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Another wonderful layout and article. Kudos!

About shapes: Yes, I hear that. I own a Charatan (my only non-Carey other than one Duncan Hill Aerosphere), and I still can't tell if it's a "Yacht" or a "Zulu."
  • Options
    Doing great so far, wonderful stuff.
  • Options
    "Hugh Beaumont" Say, wasn't he Beaver's dad?
  • Options
    @motie2 That's the guy. Luckily he lived through this film which is probably why he was able to father The Beeve and Wally years later.
  • Options
    @Woodsman Believe it or not it usually takes about 2 hours for me to write this stuff and even then I end up forgetting some tidbit of information I wanted to include in the post. Yet I was still able to watch all three Creature movies in the trilogy as well as 'The Mole People' and believe it or not all four films have main characters who are pipe smokers.
  • Options
    @motie2

Mr. Ward Cleaver (Hugh Beaumont) was a "licensed" Methodist Minister in real life (is that the same as ordained?). He had a Masters Degree in Theology. I thought you would appreciate that.
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- I try to learn something every day. You've schooled me on Mr. (Rev. ?) Beaumont. Thank you for that information.  :)
  • Options
    Just re-watched the movie "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde" and discovered Dr. Jekyll was a pipe smoker as well. The old classics are loaded with pipe smokers.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Fredric March (1897 - 1975) playing Dr Jekyll

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii

Hey Ghost.....do you do the writing in these posts as well? Very nicely written, and of course I have already commented on the staging and the photography. These are very artistically set up, and the colors and the content are extremely well presented. Two thumbs up.....you are a credit to the pipe world.
  • Options
    Just better and better,
  • Options
    @pwkarch Yea that is my writing, and I do tend to ramble on a bit. But I've always loved talking about movies, so this was right up my alley. I'm glad you guys seem to enjoy it.
  • Options
    Observation: We ALL "tend to ramble on a bit," especially us geezers.