Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Lighting your pipe and are high-end lighters really worth it?

I know wooden matches are probably the proper way to light my pipe. However, we all know why most of us don't use them.  I currently use the cheap Bic lighters and buy them in bulk because it's cheaper. I like the soft flame and the fact it that does not have a smell like using a Zippo. The down side, wind blows it out, I have burned my finger before trying to get the flame in bowl. It's does not point the flame down as i would like. In addition, when I flick the wheel to relight, the spark flys out so far it sometimes blows out ash from bowl, some are hot too. I am not on top of the bowl either when this happens. 

So, this brings me to looking a lighter options. I am having a difficult time trying to justify the price of some pipe lighters. Then have to deal with maintenance. I am reluctant to get a Zippo because of the fuel smell and I heard you can taste the it in the first light. I do like the look, the pipe hole in the chimney and the fact they are wind proof. I have seen many product reviews and still can't decide which direction to go. Therefore, I have come to ask the pipe community directly.

Your thoughts please?

Comments

• Options
    My default tends to be matches. Matches can be a hassle, however, they are easier to control I find when lighting a pipe. That being said I picked up an antique (vintage?) Colibri lighter that was made in Japan, and this thing has not failed me one time. Every strike, it lights. Comparing that to my Xikar that has the 4th Generation branding on it which is always a hassle to even get lit. I'd say based on that the Colibri is a pretty darn good lighter. I have found myself now that I have a good lighter, going to it (over matches) time and time again.
  • Options
    I have a Mr. Brog edition of a Corona Old Boy that works great, I had the same problem with burning my fingers because I had to hold the button down until the pipe was lit , even with a Zippo pipe lighter, with this lighter I can hold it at the bottom because it's finger free.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply guys. So where did you buy? What's the price point? How much maintenance is involved?
  • Options
    @motie2, thanks for the tip. I was not aware of the Bic pipe lighter. What do they call them or where do you get them?
    I will search Amazon for the Linse and I agree, why wrap a black package to look annoying and stupid?
  • Options
    @Londy3 -- No, my friend, either you mis-read or I wasn't clear.

The Linse lighter IS the "BIC-like lighter."         BIC-like
  • Options
    @Londy3, look under pipe lighters on eBay, it lists for $24.96, free shipping.
  • Options
    I prefer the Zippo pipe lighter even though that first few puff you get the taste of lighter fluid. I'd rather not spend an excessive amount on a fancy lighter when I can get a package of cheap Bic lighters for a few buck a Walmart. Matches and a cheap lighter are all I need to get my pipe lit.
  • Options
    I hear ya @ghostsofpompeii -- but that first puff of lighter fluid queers the deal for me, elsewise I'd be using a Beatie, like back in the day, or a Nimrod. Nimrod are hefty, but cool. The gentleman's equivalent of a butterfly knife.....

But de gustibus as they say.....
  • Options

Honestly, I think a high end lighter is most appropriate, once you are satisfied with the number of pipes that you have, and the total tonnage of your tobacco cellar.

I have 2 lighters that I typically use with my briars and meerschaums. One is an IM Corona Pewter, and the other is a Vertigo Puffer. The Vertigo Puffer seems to work better on deeper bowled pipes, but it is noisy, as it clicks when it ignites the gas. This could be a problem if your wife is asleep on the couch, or of you find yourself in a deer stand. In either case, you don't want to run off your dear, or your deer as the case may be.

The IM Corona is a quality lighter, but anytime you take it out of the house, you are risking losing it, so it can create some anxiety in doing so.

I still use a Bic when I am smoking a cob, because I have a ziplock bag full of them that I was gifted, and I am trying to use them up.

• Options
    trhotontrhoton Newcomer
    @Londy3 I have three lighters. A old boy style (Clone) works great! A Z plus soft flame lighter and a zippo. I use my old boy style more than anything and my Zippo if i am going to outside or driving. Old Boy Style --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/201223443630 is a great lighter for 24.99. Never had a problem with it and works like a champ but not in the wind and has a built in tamper.
  • Options
    That's the one I have.
  • Options
    @trhoton & @pipeman83, can you tell me more about the fuel and maintenance?  I am reluctant to buy ones like Zippo for example because I don't want to taste fuel. I just don't want a high maintenance lighter either.
  • Options
    I WOULD COMMENT BUT IT TELLS ME I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL ITS APPROVED.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2017
    Test comment 9:10am

Checked and not held up 9:11am

@PappyJoe -- Has the problem happened elsewhere on the site? Is it reproducible?
  • Options
    trhotontrhoton Newcomer
    @Londy3 Maintenance... It uses Zippo flints and have to use premium butane fuel. I haven't never really counted but probably average around 10 bowls before refill. I usually just refill mine at my wife disproved pipe station on the kitchen counter when i lay them to rest! There is no fuel taste i can tell with butane. Zippo has fuel taste i would say the first three draws then its fine. I always use my zippo if i am driving or outside.
  • Options
    It's happened it two different topics. My original still hasn't appeared here.
  • Options
    For all you Zippo lovers enthusiasts. Try finding a Z-pipe insert. https://www.amazon.com/Z-Plus-Pipe-Flame-Insert-Lighters/dp/B00P2NA37A
    If it fits, you get the Zippo experience without the lighter fluid taste.

Also, @motie2 obviously knows what he is talking about since he's the only "Connoisseur" on the site now. (Those of us who were formerly "Connoisseur" have been found lacking by TPL.) I buy 2 or 3 of the Linse lighters when they are in stock at the local B&M's I visit in New Orleans and Baton Rouge.
  • Options
    trhotontrhoton Newcomer
    Just with any butane lighter that's refillable that you use make sure your using triple refined butane or better. If you don't it will ruin your lighter, Trust me tried and proven!
  • Options
    Almost everything you need to know about lighter maintenance, attached as a .pdf
    Oh, and by the way: the "Use triple refined butane or better" advice from @trhoton should be the Thirteenth Commandment for owners of even moderately priced butane lighters, and how much the more so for better models. Just plain Ronson or off-brand butane will only lead to heartbreak. Also BTW: tasteless lighter fluid is like clean coal.... 
  • Options
    I have a Sarome PSD-9 and love it.. works great, angled flame, no button to hold.
    http://www.sarome.com/products/lighter/pipe/
  • Options
    @Londy3 I use Xikar butane fuel, no issues so far.

• Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I have a variety of lighters, some expensive all the way down to BICs.  I currently use a Zippo as I only smoke outside and the wind in my area make any other lighter almost impossible to use, I've used entire lighters full of butane one smoke.  As far as taste, I really don't notice any flavor but I only use Zippo fuel, I've use Ronson fuel when smoking cigarettes and OMG the taste is horrible.
  • Options
    When I'm in the mood I use my Beattie Jet, as the jet tube heats up it boils the fuel and it jets out through the flame to light the tobacco like a Coleman Stove or Lantern. I think the jet burns the fuel better than the wick and I don't taste it.I don't carry it with me because they always leak fuel out. Outside and in the car I use the Linse Lighter.
  • Options
    Back to lighting one's pipe and a summation. 

It's a two step process:

<< The Toasting/Charring Light -- It is in the initial light that we find some commonality with our cigar smoking cousins. Just as knowledgeable cigar man will take the time and steps necessary to ensure an even light, and lower the risk of less-than-optimal burning patterns by running a flame over the initial surface before the 'actual' smoking commences, so do we. In our case, the charring/toasting/'false' light expels most extra moisture, and prepares a splendid surface for the 'real' fire-up. Take your flame (most any will do, but avoid the briar-hating 'torch' lighter which will quickly scorch your pipe) and apply it to the tobacco, moving it in a circular motion around the entire surface of the leaf. While doing so, take a series of shallow puffs on the pipe. Usually the tobacco swells up in a spot or two and seems to unravel. That's ok, since the purpose of the charring light is to balance out the tobacco moisture and density, its just doing its job. Let the pre-ignition go out and tamp the tobacco back down to parallel with the top of the bowl. Be gentle with the tamper, many a great potential smoke has run afoul of over-zealous tamping.

The Main Event -- Relight, and (again) apply flame to the leaf, moving it in a circular motion around the entire surface of the tobacco. While doing this, take a series of shallow puffs on the pipe. This time the tobacco should not unravel and puff up as it did before. Kick back and begin to enjoy your smoke. Keep in mind, as you progress through your smoke, you will continue to hit mini-layers of uneven moisture and, because heat rises, there will be a natural tendency for the embers of your smoke to move upward, away from its 'fuel'. Again, that's okay, that's what your tamper is for; simply gently tamp down and lightly puff. It's not uncommon to have to relight a bowl several times, especially for the unseasoned pipe smokers; be patient, smoking a pipe is a very nuanced hobby that takes a lot of practice.....>>

~ http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/pipe-smoking-basics.cfm
  • Options
    @Woodsman -- In my first pipe life i wound up using a Beattie, and you know, you are absolutely correct: the Beattie somehow avoids leaving the petroleum taste that I found with a Zippo or a Nimrod, while using the same fuel. I never thought of that, back in the day, but it's true.
  • Options
    Guys  

The "proper" way to light our pipes is supposed to be with a wooden match after the sulfur burnoff, or with a cedar "spill" . Another trick I saw was a hemp roll to transfer the flame from lighting device to bowl without the introduction of any fuel residue.

Now here is my reality. Having said that I ask "who in the hell" has time for that crap unless you are sitting in your favorite recliner with tons of time on your hands. I know I don't have that luxury (or that recliner). My smoking is outside or in my truck going to or coming from somewhere. I STILL use my Navy Zippo, whatever taste or aroma from the lighter fluid is gone in seconds. Alternatively I will use one of my butane cigar lighters with the flame turned down. Matches just don't work for me because if outside the wind always blows (no pun intended) here on the coast. Matches in the truck have resulted in several burn holes in my seat (and my sweatshirts). I guess I am just not sophisticated enough to be a "proper" piper, but I sure do enjoy the experience as a long time "improper" piper. I figure fire is fire, so long as it is hot and burning I can catch a light from it. Usually I don't take the time (unless I have the time to relax) to use a char light. I pack my pipe, and fire up the old zippo and off I go. I am usually then off on a "mission" to somewhere with aromatic smoke streaming out my truck windows.
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited August 2017
    @motie2 -- I just ordered 3 of those Linse lighters on eBay for $7.90 (including shipping). These will be great for air travel. TSA got a nice Xikar lighter of mine last year.  :#
  • Options
    There should be a way that TSA could store your property or arrange mailing it back, of course, that would mean that someone cares.
  • Options
    Are the expensive (over $100.00) pipe lighters worth it?
    If pride of possession is important to you, then, yes.
    If not, then, no.

I mean, I really like my Old Boy. It's cool looking. Heavy in the hand. 

But, #1, I'm afraid of losing it.
    And #2 - There's nothing it can do that my Linse can't do except be refilled and tamp. (There's a built-in tamper in the Old Boy)
    And the Linse is a little better out-of-doors.
    And yes, the Linse label peels off.