Home General

New to the forum? Introduce yourself!

Comments

• Hey everyone - first post on the Pipeline but been hanging out a while.  I'm a pastor in Northwest Arkansas.  Been smoking pipes for about five years.  Like many of you, I have fond memories of my granddad smoking pipes in the garage and always loved the smell.  I got into the hobby when I ordered a free sample of pipe tobacco online out of curiosity and was sent a tin of Sutliff's Molto Dulce. Man, that stuff smelled good!  So I just had to put some of that in a pipe and smoke it:) Been hooked since.  I've got a few pipes I rotate through - a basket pipe (that I started with but actually smokes REALLY well), a couple of Peterson's, a Nording freehand, a churchwarden, and new to my collection is a Rattray billiard that I really really like.  We are fortunate in my neck of the woods to have two great B&M pipe shops - Romeo's Uptown Pipe and Tobacco, and Ash and Ember.  Great tobacconists who are helpful and friendly.  I've also put together a small pipe club of sorts of fellow pipe smoking pastors.  We call ourselves The Brotherhood of the Briar.  Nothing like sitting around with these brothers once a month trading and smoking blends and talking theology.  I have truly enjoyed the knowledge, wisdom, and humor by the folks on this site.  I still consider myself very much a novice so may be asking for advice along the way!
  • Hi, I'm Joe. And I'm an alcoholic. Oh wait ... wrong group. 
  • Welcome @FatherBriar ! Glad to hear that you're able to share your hobby with fellow pastors. There's nothing like having a good conversation about theology and deep topics with a pipe in hand. I never had the chance to do so in Bible college (would've been kicked out for that one), but one of my friends from college also smokes a pipe, and we can have those conversations then. If you have any questions about pipes and tobacco, you've come to the right place.
  • @FatherBriar - Welcome to the congregation. You are blessed to have two B&M's in your neck of the woods. We have some other members of the clergy on here also. 
    Hopefully you are also listening to The Country Squire Podcast from Jackson, MS. Two very good guys. 
  • motie2motie2 Master
    edited October 2017
    @FatherBriar -- Welcome to TPL. We look forward to your continued comments and contributions. As @PappyJoe mentioned, above, we have several both active and retired clergy here. Nice to have you join our ranks. I'm four years retired myself.....

You might be interested in the attached .pdf's.   (BTW, I neither subscribe to, nor disavow the contents, but find them worth reading....)

Say, has anyone compiled a list of who our clergy members are? (-10 pts for ending sentence with a verb. ;) )
  • @thebadgerpiper thanks so much - I understand your Bible college / pipe smoking dilemma.  My particular tradition has a "complicated" relationship with all things tobacco.  And the truth is that many of my colleagues in ministry are closet cigar and pipe smokers, but we understand that God even created the glorious tobacco leaf and there is a proper way to enjoy it:) .  I really appreciate the articles and the welcome @motie2 - it might take me 2 or 3 bowls to work my way through the 83 PAGES of the one :#   @PappyJoe seems to be pretty much a legend on these forums so any kind of shout out from him is an honor.  Glad to be on board and would also like to know what other "brothers of the leaf" are on here with us.

• Welcome, @FatherBriar. I know there are both active and lurking “brothers of the leaf” all over TPL. We have several local believers (around a dozen) who meet regularly here in Norman, OK. It’s a pretty informal pipe club, and we enjoy not only theological but every day discussions (life as a husband, father, businessman) while enjoying our relaxing hobby. They are a great group of guys! I hope you find TPL as helpful as most of us have. 

• I am a 60 year old retired school administrator. I've had various hobbies over the years such as whitewater kayaking and jiujitsu. My principle hobbies at this point are pipes and photography.

I live in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio - Grove City. I frequent Pipes & Pleasures for pipes, tobacco, and relaxing in the lounge with other cigar and pipe smokers. The people at P&P are exceptional. They carry a wide range of pipes, tobaccos and have a really nice smoking lounge. I have been smoking pipes for about two years. Thus far I own 7 pipes: 1 Perterson; 2 S&R; 2 Savinelli; 1 Jesse Jones; and 1 Stefano Santambrogio. 

As an amatuer photographer, I recently completed a six month photography project for a photography class I was taking. The class focused on our development of an individual portfolio consisting of ten to fifteen photos. Each of us determined our own theme. I chose Pipes and the People who smoke them. I sought to visually communicate pipes as art. I photographed ten pipe smokers with their favorite pipes. I took a horizontal photo featuring each pipe being smoked, but with very little of the smoker being visible. An accompanying portrait shot focused the camera's attention on the person while the person smoked the pipe. I had a wide variety of pipe smokers: men, women, different ethicities and ages. You may know Rosewitha Anderson. Rosewitha and her late husband, Steven, are well known pipe carvers. Rosewitha was one of my pipe smokers for the project. There were several of her handmade S&R brand pipes photographed and being smoked. I will try and find a way to share a few of these photos. As fellow pipe smokers, I think you will likely connect with what I was trying to capture. 

One of my finished compositions is on display in a Columbus gallery/cafe. The opening night of the gallery showing garnered some real interest in pipes and pipe smoking. Amazingly, many people expressed pipe smoking was a thing of the past. Little do they know it's an interesting and thriving culture around the world.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    edited October 2017
    @jshaw1957 -- Welcome, sir. We look forward to your contributions and participation.
  • @jshaw1957 Nice photographs. Welcome to the forum.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    edited October 2017
    @jshaw1957 -- We have several talented photographers in our group (I don't feel competent enough to judge amateur or pro). Several of us take wonderful pictures of our pipes (including pipes some of us have hand crafted), whilst others take beautiful photo compositions (I'm thinking of @ghostsofpompeii). A couple of us are Buckeyes. I'm pleased to hear you have access to a B&M pipe store.... many of us are dependent on online merchants. I have only nine pipes, myself. And now I'm babbling. So, once again, welcome!
  • Thanks for the comment, Motie2. I'll move over to the other site categories now that I've introduced myself. 
  • PaulKeithPaulKeith Apprentice
    edited October 2017
    Hello everyone. My name is Paul Keith and I'm from the western suburbs of Chicaco, and I got into smoking a pipe about 3 years go for about a year. Then, I met my now wife, and quite smoking my pipes. Not sure if it was because I didn't want her to judge me or because I was just busy being in a new relationships. Probably both. Anyway, I've recently been thinking back on smoking a pipe, the pipe community, looking at pipes online, etc. and I've been missing it. At one point, I owned a BC, a couple MM cobs, and my first basket pipe. I've always wanted a bulldog, and didn't want to make a big investment as I'm just getting back into the fray here, so I went with a Rossi Rubino Bent Bulldog. It arrives in the mail today and I can't wait to fire it up after my wife and I take the nieces and nephews to the pumpkins patch. Seems like a good way to top off a Fall day. At any rate, as I re-embark on a pipe journey, I'm excited about engaging with this here forums for folks. You all seems like a kind bunch. Thanks for having me.
  • Paul, 

Yesterday, my family and I went to Circleville, Ohio's Pumpkin Show.  I heard it's the largest of its kind in the US; over 400,000 people and one pumpkin weighing in at 1562 pounds. I had never been to this festival before so I didn't know what to expect. Well, it was overwhelmingly all things pumpkin. I never saw so many fried pumpkin foods in my life. Just for kicks, check it out at www.pumpkinshow.com/

I considered taking a pipe along, but at the last minute I decided not to; I surely wish I had. The day was warm and without a cloud in the sky. It would have been nice to get out of the sun, people watch, and smoke a good pipe. I'm starting to think I should take a pipe along with me wherever I go. Like you, I'm new to THIS PIPE LIFE. Welcome aboard.  
  • @PaulKeith - welcome to the forum. Any questions you have, pipe smokers on this forum will answer.
  • @jshaw1957 -- I spent 9 years in Cincinnati, and another 9 in Middletown. I have fond memories of the Pumpkin Show.

@PaulKeith -- May I, too, welcome you to our ranks? We all look forward to getting to know you and benefitting from your participation.
    You'll find us friendly and collegial, and quick to help if you have questions or concerns.
    I have a .pdf library you might enjoy at http://forum.thispipelife.com/discussion/comment/24688#Comment_24688
    Let me know if there's anything you want.
  • My most hearty welcome to you all.
  • Welcome to all!, @jshaw1957, I’m a buckeye also, from Cleveland, passed through your neck of the woods yesterday on my way back from Dayton.
  • Welcome @jshaw1957. Great to have you on the forums!!
  • @FatherBriar and @jshaw1957 Welcome to the group. Glad to see our numbers increasing.
  • Thanks for the welcomes from each of you. 
  • <<Place holding post to keep the folder near the top for newcomers.>>

• @jshaw1957 -- Welcome sir. We look forward to your participation. We have several talented photographers in our group (I don't feel competent enough to judge amateur or pro). Several of us take wonderful pictures of our pipes (including pipes some of us have hand crafted), whilst others take beautiful photo compositions (I'm thinking of @ghostsofpompeii). A couple of us are Buckeyes. I'm pleased to hear you have access to a B&M pipe/tobacco store.... many of us are dependent on online merchants. I'm 71 and have only nine pipes, myself. And now I'm babbling. So, once again, welcome!
  • @jshaw1957 -- We have several talented photographers in our group (I don't feel competent enough to judge amateur or pro). Several of us take wonderful pictures of our pipes (including pipes some of us have hand crafted), whilst others take beautiful photo compositions (I'm thinking of @ghostsofpompeii). A couple of us are Buckeyes. I'm pleased to hear you have access to a B&M pipe store.... many of us are dependent on online merchants. I have only nine pipes, myself. And now I'm babbling. So, once again, welcome!
  • Hello everyone. My name is Paul Keith and I'm from the western suburbs of Chicago, and I got into smoking a pipe about 3 years go for about a year. Then, I met my now wife, and quite smoking my pipes. Not sure if it was because I didn't want her to judge me or because I was just busy being in a new relationships. Probably both. Anyway, I've recently been thinking back on smoking a pipe, the pipe community, looking at pipes online, etc. and I've been missing it. At one point, I owned a BC, a couple MM cobs, and my first basket pipe. I've always wanted a bulldog, and didn't want to make a big investment as I'm just getting back into the fray here, so I went with a Rossi Rubino Bent Bulldog. It arrives in the mail today and I can't wait to fire it up after my wife and I take the nieces and nephews to the pumpkins patch. Seems like a good way to top off a Fall day. At any rate, as I re-embark on a pipe journey, I'm excited about engaging with this here forums for folks. You all seems like a kind bunch. Thanks for having me.
  • Hello everyone. My name is Paul Keith and I'm from the western suburbs of Chicago, and I got into smoking a pipe about 3 years go for about a year. Then, I met my now wife, and quite smoking my pipes. Not sure if it was because I didn't want her to judge me or because I was just busy being in a new relationships. Probably both. Anyway, I've recently been thinking back on smoking a pipe, the pipe community, looking at pipes online, etc. and I've been missing it. At one point, I owned a BC, a couple MM cobs, and my first basket pipe. I've always wanted a bulldog, and didn't want to make a big investment as I'm just getting back into the fray here, so I went with a Rossi Rubino Bent Bulldog. It arrives in the mail today and I can't wait to fire it up after my wife and I take the nieces and nephews to the pumpkins patch. Seems like a good way to top off a Fall day. At any rate, as I re-embark on a pipe journey, I'm excited about engaging with this here forums for folks. You all seems like a kind bunch. Thanks for having me.
  • I am a 60 year old retired school administrator. I've had various hobbies over the years such as whitewater kayaking and jiujitsu. My principle hobbies at this point are pipes and photography.

I live in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio - Grove City. I frequent Pipes & Pleasures for pipes, tobacco, and relaxing in the lounge with other cigar and pipe smokers. The people at P&P are exceptional. They carry a wide range of pipes, tobaccos and have a really nice smoking lounge. I have been smoking pipes for about two years. Thus far I own 7 pipes: 1 Perterson; 2 S&R; 2 Savinelli; 1 Jesse Jones; and 1 Stefano Santambrogio. 

As an amatuer photographer, I recently completed a six month photography project for a photography class I was taking. The class focused on our development of an individual portfolio consisting of ten to fifteen photos. Each of us determined our own theme. I chose Pipes and the People who smoke them. I sought to visually communicate pipes as art. I photographed ten pipe smokers with their favorite pipes. I took a horizontal photo featuring each pipe being smoked, but with very little of the smoker being visible. An accompanying portrait shot focused the camera's attention on the person while the person smoked the pipe. I had a wide variety of pipe smokers: men, women, different ethicities and ages. You may know Rosewitha Anderson. Rosewitha and her late husband, Steven, are well known pipe carvers. Rosewitha was one of my pipe smokers for the project. There were several of her handmade S&R brand pipes photographed and being smoked. I will try and find a way to share a few of these photos. As fellow pipe smokers, I think you will likely connect with what I was trying to capture. 

One of my finished compositions is on display in a Columbus gallery/cafe. The opening night of the gallery showing garnered some real interest in pipes and pipe smoking. Amazingly, many people thought pipe smoking was a thing of the past. Little did they know it's a thriving culture.

One of my finished compositions is on display in a Columbus gallery/cafe. The opening night of the gallery showing garnered some real interest in pipes and pipe smoking. Amazingly, many people thought pipe smoking was a thing of the past. Little did they know it's a thriving culture.
  • piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    I guess with the new changes to TPL forum I am now considered a newcomer :D  HA HA HA or at least that is what my new title is. Starting over again I guess, it doesn't hurt to reintroduce myself either way; I reside in southwest Ohio close to Cincinnati and am very lucky to have a couple of brick and mortars within close vicinity to be able to visit: Straus Tobacconist, Carrousel Keyer Tobacco Shoppe and Bell's House of Tobacco. I have been enjoying my pipes for over 10 years. I am also very luck to be able to pipe muse with my brother-in-law and share different blends and tins with him. I have a wide range of pipes from clay, meerschaum, morta (bog-oak), corn cob and of course briar. My selection of blends varies with the seasons, summer and spring are more Virginia or Virginia-Perique along with Burleys and fall and winter I like Balkan or Latakia and I always enjoy a good aromatic regardless of season. I enjoy my pipes when relaxing in my back yard or with close friends/colleagues and on occasion at a pipe show when I can attend them. Really enjoy TPL forum and all of the great information shared, the pipe images are also a treat especially the rare or eccentric ones.