Home General

New to the forum? Introduce yourself!

Comments

• Welcoms ALL new comers......glad to have you aboard

• Well then, welcome, @JAltonCarter. We're glad to have you join us. We look forward to your participation. If you have any questions, just ask anyone. Those who post here are a friendly and helpful bunch.

Again: WELCOME!!!!!
  • Welcome @JAltonCarter , glad to have you with us, and thanks for sharing your story. I never get tired about hearing how people got into pipe smoking, especially when family is involved.
  • welcome @Farrellsm77, @BrooklynPipes, @westow3, @Beardo, @jwat80, @BaccymanJoes. I am glad you joined our band of men and women who enjoy This Pipe Life and tobacco. Please feel free to join the discussion. This is a supportive group that welcomes all newcomers as family.
  • I second @Danfriedman
    Welcome to our forums.
  • All you new members, welcome to the group. Share your knowledge and your comments.....we are a very friendly group. Any new pipers that have questions or problems there are plenty of guys with a lot of experience that would love to help you. There are NO stupid questions so let them fly.
  • Hey there.

Although I've been smoking a pipe for several years, I consider myself a beginner. I smoked one on and off over 20 years, never finding that nirvana I hear about. I'd smoke regularly for a month or so, never really tasting anything and getting terrible tongue bite, then give up.

The cause was bad smoking habits and not taking the time to learn to smoke properly. I had no tutors and the local B&M could care less. So, as a result, I'm starting over from the beginning as a new student of the art.

I'm always looking for ways to increase my enjoyment of the hobby and look forward to learning more here.
  • @newdave61

Welcome aboard.....this IS the place to be. There are hundreds of years if not more of knowledge and opinion here. Lots of advice just looking for someone who wants it. I have yet to run into anyone on this site who was not friendly and or helpful. The only requirement is to participate often. Ask for whatever yoiu want whether it be advice, an opinion, or just to check in. Share whatever wisdom and advice you have to offer, recommend tobacco blends and take advantage of what is offered.
  • Welcome @newdave61 your story is similar to mine smoked for over 6 years but really didnt get it until like 8 months ago. Whole new world opened up, welcome!
  • @newdave61 welcome to the forum. You will find great caring people here. Thanks for joining us.
  • A hearty welcome to new members. We look forward to your paticipation in  and contribution to our discussions.

We also welcome lurkers; this is a friendly forum. Have a question? Just ask.
  • @Casper - you should introduce yourself here as well. 
  • CasperCasper Newcomer
    @jfreedy, lol I thought this was the folder I was in my first visit, my apologies.

Good Morning Everyone, My name is Dave, I'm from The Big Easy neighborhood, as I work in the Big Easy, and live as far out in the country as I can get when not working.

Pipe Smoking for me started when I was a child, and my Pawpaw smoked a pipe, and I use to stay close to him, as I loved the aroma of his pipe more than anything, and of course he knew it. When he passed away, he left a couple of pipes to me. I took those pipes and placed them in a pipe rack, and every time I seen them, they reminded me of my Pawpaw. He passed in the mid 80's, which left me studying the pipes for nearly 15 years. One day while doing the shopping day in Merrit Island Florida, I escaped the family and found myself tucked into a place by the name of Smoke Rings, (A small shop inside the mall which had a smokers lounge) I strolled inside, and the manager of the establishment was smoking a Meerchum behind the counter, The Aroma nearly took me off of my feet. The Timing was Christmas Season 2000. That Day I made my first Pipe purchase, as the manager had probably a dozen Meerchum pipes in a glass case, and briars on the other side. I purchased a new Savenelli Millennium Pipe, and I explained to the store manager I was clueless how to pack it, smoke it, keep it lit or even what type of Tobacco to put in it. The store manager was patient, as he hooked me up with the pipe, a pipe lighter, a pipe tool, and then was the big question, what type of tobacco, Well that was fairly easy, I wanted the same type of tobacco he was smoking, which is why I purchased the pipe to begin with. He hooked me up with a couple of samplers 1oz each of aromatic blends, and 8 oz of what he was smoking. Within a few days, my tongue hurt so bad, I couldn't smoke anything, and had a hard time eating or drinking, but I didn't want to give up. After allowing my tongue to heal, I stopped back at smoke Rings, the manager showed me an easy way to pack my pipe, and he showed me to fill and tamp, then fill and tamp then one more time to top it off thought was I was packing to loosely. A few weeks later my tongue was again sore and swollen, as it was tongue burnt again lol. I put the pipe down, trying it occasionally time to time, packing it tighter, packing it looser, but always ending up with tongue bite.

This last time I put my pipe away, I noticed it had been nearly 12 years since I had smoked it last. Although over the years I hadn't smoked, from time to time I ran across a pipe I really liked, I would purchase the pipe, and put it away with my collection. Believe it or not, In Louisiana, it's Election season, and I was listening to one of our candidates as he said something that profoundly touched me and made a lot of sense. He said "You can't keep making the same decisions, and expect a different outcome) I don't have my Pawpaw to ask questions to, So I've inquired into a pipe club in New Orleans, and then I've joined a couple of forums here online, and made the decision, no matter how stupid a question sounds, I'm going to ask, because I want to enjoy my Pipes as much as my Pawpaw enjoyed his pipes. So I've done some reading, about Tobacco's, I've questioned my Pipe club President with many questions, I've openly asked a couple questions here and on another Forum (I picked two forums looking for the one with the most traffic, best place to ask questions and learn from) I've asked questions about pipes, about tobacco storage, and watched several members of the pipe club sit back enjoy a good conversation and just smoke a pipe. This is the reason I joined your forum, to learn. So this is who I am, and everything about me regarding tobacco pipes. I'm anxious to learn as much as possible, and to just enjoy smoking my pipes, and break a nasty cigarette habit. It's very Nice to meet everyone, and I look foreword to learning all I can, Thank You for allowing me to join your forum.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    edited October 2019
    @casper -- I had a more than thirty year hiatus in my pipe smoking. I began in the mid '60's, put down the pipe in the mid '80's, and took it up again in 2016 or thereabouts. I had saved only three pipes from my first pipe life. Now I have 14. First time around I began with drugstore/codger blends, and soon went to English/Latakia blends. These days I mostlt smoke aromatics, but I'm starting to enjoy a pinch of Latakia here and there.

Look for the FREE PIPE SMOKING LIBRARY folder......
    Right now, it's on this page
    http://forum.thispipelife.com/discussion/comment/54971#Comment_54971
  • Welcome Casper.....this IS the place, glad you are aboard. You will find this the best site on the web with the best people. No BS, everyone is friendly and willing to share wisdom, experience, and usually more than $0.02. Glad ou landed here, please add your wisdom and thoughts as well.

• Welcome @Casper, we all learned from trial and error, it’s worth it though.
  • Welcome @Casper this is a very helpful and friendly gang. 
  • @Casper
    Soon as I figure out a good day for me I'll message you and we can meet up for lunch.
  • Hello. My name is Mike, and I'm from North Alabama. I'm new to pipe smoking, and still figuring it out.